1995 Johnson Ocean Runner 200 start and stall issue.

Recently purchased my first boat about 3-4 months ago. Pretty clean 95 Promaster with 200 OceanRunner. When talking to the owner originally he stated that there was a cold start issue that ended up being related to a primer issue. Not exactly sure what the part was called specifically, but it was replaced and the cold start issue was resolved. Since I have owned the boat there is still an issue with initial startup and idle. Engine hot or cold. Start engine, runs a couple seconds and dies. Will also die at a very low idle occasionally. After a couple tries it'll start and idle perfectly fine. After being started I can hear the idle come down slightly and know that it will not die on me. I've gone a full day on the lake without it acting up, but more often than not it will start and die on me about one or two times before it will start and run as designed. I did have an issue two weeks ago with a split fuel line between the carbs that ended dumping allot of fuel. I figured that initially there was a small leak in that line and it was loosing fuel pressure between spots while fishing, but even after I fixed the fuel line the condition was still present. Supposedly the engine was decarboned but I don't think anything was done to the carburetors and I don't think the plugs were changed either. Compression was also checked before purchase and all checked out. Seems like a fuel issue to me for sure, but I'm not exactly sure of the best way to go about the diagnosis procedure. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1995 Johnson Ocean Runner 200 start and stall issue.

Do you have a choke on the key switch on that motor?
If so are you using that when you are starting?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

if you have the choke on the key switch just bump it each time the engine starts to die, thatl keep it running til its going fine by itself, thats what normal operation is on my johnson

There is a choke on the switch. I use it when launching the boat. Should I just hold it in till the motor is running good every time then? Just figured it wasn't a normal issue and there was something to do to help the issue, but off that's normal for the engine I can start doing that every time I guess.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

There is a choke on the switch. I use it when launching the boat. Should I just hold it in till the motor is running good every time then? Just figured it wasn't a normal issue and there was something to do to help the issue, but off that's normal for the engine I can start doing that every time I guess.

I wouldnt hold it in as that will flood it, just bump it in briefly when its about to die and that will increase the idle and keep it going.
Thats how they work, holding it in should only be done at start up and release as soon as it starts.

Since it seems to idle perfectly for you most of the time it sounds like what is happening is normal

Sounds good Bosunsmate. Thanks for the help. I'll definitely give it a go next time I'm out and update how it worked.

I have same year/model and have a similar problem that I have not been able to resolve in the 5+ years I've owned it. I keep it well maintained, winterize every year, yearly tune up (new sparks, etc)...but here's my issue:

Start up usually takes a few tries (normal), but is always the same routine, choke start, crank a few times, til its running. I can go out, runs strong all day....then as I'm coming into the docks or I have to idle through a no wake and I take it down to a low idle it will sputter and die. Starts up on the first crank, but it's problematic trying to pull into a dock (especially in strong tidal currents) and have to restart the motor a couple of times while maneuvering. Runs strong, then croaks at the most inappropriate times...trolling is impossible unless I keep at a higher idle.

I've replaced the VRO (thinking fuel supply at low speeds wasn't strong enough)...I've discussed re-doing the carbs as the last resort, but I'm probably not up for the job and mechanic has indicated it's going to be $$ with that many carbs on a big outboard.

Thoughts?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

you need to UNDERSTAND some aspects of your motor....and one is your starting procedure. There is no CHOKE on that model!!

They have a set up that SEEMS similar to a choke system though!

One your motor you squeeze the primer bulb to PRESSUREIZE the fuel supply to the Fuel component bracket. So now you have a line of gas under pressure waiting at the gate! When you push the key in( ..ie..’choke”) you OPEN the gate on the end of your fuel supply, so to speak, and gas rushes into thew MANIFOLD…which is BEHIND the carbs!!!
Did you catch that…gas is injected(under pressure from your priming the bulb) into the manifolds and is used to fire over your motor…it isn’t mixed with air…..so it is KINDA like choking…more gas than normal in your mixture…..( I say mixture because air is still going in through the throttle openings and mxing with gas delivered by the carbs…
Now if you have a bad primer system…or if you have air leaks…..pushing in the key( priming) isn’t giving you the gas as designed!!!
Also you may have to primer….try to start.. and then prime again…because some if not most of the PRESSURE is relieved….. sooooo prime it back up… and push the key in….letting gas squirt into the manifolds…..
Many of the ocean runners-ocean pros that I have had to have the primer bulb squeezed till hard, then the key pushed in 6 or 7 times…. Then try to start….if not, primed again and push the key in another 7-8 times….
If it catches the fast start feature should take over and keep your motor running.
The device that controls your primer..( ie the “DOOR” that opens and closes…is in the primer solenoid it has a lever that can manually OPEN the door and leave it open… but under normall operation you want that door closed…ie the primer lever in the run position
bob

daselbee

Commander

Bob...correct, except for this little detail...

When you press and hold the key in while starting, the fuel pump is now delivering that fuel under fuel pump pressure, and the fuel is injected into the manifold as you describe. There should be no need to prime, re-prime, etc by pumping the bulb. Only once is enough; that fills the fuel system through and through to the carbs. After that, fuel pump all the way.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

you need to UNDERSTAND some aspects of your motor....and one is your starting procedure. There is no CHOKE on that model!!

They have a set up that SEEMS similar to a choke system though!

One your motor you squeeze the primer bulb to PRESSUREIZE the fuel supply to the Fuel component bracket. So now you have a line of gas under pressure waiting at the gate! When you push the key in( ..ie..’choke”) you OPEN the gate on the end of your fuel supply, so to speak, and gas rushes into thew MANIFOLD…which is BEHIND the carbs!!!
Did you catch that…gas is injected(under pressure from your priming the bulb) into the manifolds and is used to fire over your motor…it isn’t mixed with air…..so it is KINDA like choking…more gas than normal in your mixture…..( I say mixture because air is still going in through the throttle openings and mxing with gas delivered by the carbs…
Now if you have a bad primer system…or if you have air leaks…..pushing in the key( priming) isn’t giving you the gas as designed!!!
Also you may have to primer….try to start.. and then prime again…because some if not most of the PRESSURE is relieved….. sooooo prime it back up… and push the key in….letting gas squirt into the manifolds…..
Many of the ocean runners-ocean pros that I have had to have the primer bulb squeezed till hard, then the key pushed in 6 or 7 times…. Then try to start….if not, primed again and push the key in another 7-8 times….
If it catches the fast start feature should take over and keep your motor running.
The device that controls your primer..( ie the “DOOR” that opens and closes…is in the primer solenoid it has a lever that can manually OPEN the door and leave it open… but under normall operation you want that door closed…ie the primer lever in the run position
bob

Yeah i still call it the choke. Not sure if any one has ever in the history of the world said when the boat hasnt started "hey mate have you held the Primer solenoid switch in?.....!"

Bob, thank you for the lesson, I've learned something new about my outboard.....

I think the term 'choke' is the laymans expression for pushing in the key to give things a 'kick-start' whatever magic it may be, but your clarification is well received.

Do you have any insight to the issue I brought up? Starting for me isn't much of an issue after a few crank and 'Primer Solenoid" pushes and I'm off to the races....it's more-so after running all day, then it falls down as soon as I try to go at an idle speed.

Low-speed fuel injector? (or am I way off)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Bob, thank you for the lesson, I've learned something new about my outboard.....

I think the term 'choke' is the laymans expression for pushing in the key to give things a 'kick-start' whatever magic it may be, but your clarification is well received.

Do you have any insight to the issue I brought up? Starting for me isn't much of an issue after a few crank and 'Primer Solenoid" pushes and I'm off to the races....it's more-so after running all day, then it falls down as soon as I try to go at an idle speed.

Low-speed fuel injector? (or am I way off)

way off in terms of ...there is no fuel injection on a 1995 Johnson 200 hp..

Yeah this style outboard is the first for me to have a “primer” and not a choke. But my chain saws and power washers all have PRIMERS… some even have chokes too!

I had a hard time starting my ocean runners until someone here told me about “the procedure”

Prime the bulb
Hold the key in for 8 seconds
Start the motor
Repeat if not successful
And I tell you what it cut my start times down by 90%.
I am not much of an electrical guy, and some times when heat( or a warm motor ) is involved electrical issue can arise. Otherwise, id suggest you look directly at your carbs…the passages are small, the get clogged over time or after sitting long periods. Id check there at some point, it doesn’t hurt to rebuild them and start at ground zero looking for your issues. Since it runs good initially, youd think the carbs are ok…but it’s a good think to get done. There is a technical dynamic of motors like these called Link and Sync… it is like timing the motors electrical advance to the carb throttle opening progression..
There is a section at the beginning of this forum that explains that. So many problems manifest themselves similarly on these outboards, that you really have to be precise about exactly how and when your motor developed symtoms….it is critical for getting help… and the order in which you troubleshoot needs to flow in certain way…you cant be jumping around changing things. Nail down exatly whats happening, when it happens, what you have tried, and people here will be able to help for sure

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Yeah i still call it the choke. Not sure if any one has ever in the history of the world said when the boat hasnt started "hey mate have you held the Primer solenoid switch in?.....!"

sorry, no intention of deflating your reply..........although...since I have been poking around here, it seems hundreds of times I have heard guys call the action, "Prime the motor".....

the primer solenoid, is a popular topic, here.

bob

I have same year/model and have a similar problem that I have not been able to resolve in the 5+ years I've owned it. I keep it well maintained, winterize every year, yearly tune up (new sparks, etc)...but here's my issue:

Start up usually takes a few tries (normal), but is always the same routine, choke start, crank a few times, til its running. I can go out, runs strong all day....then as I'm coming into the docks or I have to idle through a no wake and I take it down to a low idle it will sputter and die. Starts up on the first crank, but it's problematic trying to pull into a dock (especially in strong tidal currents) and have to restart the motor a couple of times while maneuvering. Runs strong, then croaks at the most inappropriate times...trolling is impossible unless I keep at a higher idle.

I've replaced the VRO (thinking fuel supply at low speeds wasn't strong enough)...I've discussed re-doing the carbs as the last resort, but I'm probably not up for the job and mechanic has indicated it's going to be $$ with that many carbs on a big outboard.

Thoughts?

This is also happening with my motor on ocasion. Like you said mainly when coming to dock with high winds! Usually I just crank it up real quick and slam it in gear when needed and it'll stay running.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

This is also happening with my motor on ocasion. Like you said mainly when coming to dock with high winds! Usually I just crank it up real quick and slam it in gear when needed and it'll stay running.

OK Ill tell you what happened to me this past winter running my ocean runner(v4) this is a motor that has run flawless mostly for the last few years, once it was started( cold mornings were the worst).

I was running out in the dark and I idled down real quick to adjust my coat and the motor stalled… it wouldn’t start unless I lifted the fast idle lever, and if lowered it slowly and tried to put it in gear it would die before I could give it gas… I did the quick shift fast as I could to get going thing , and I repeated that all day to run the motor…. Ran like a champ at rpm…would die fast when below 1000 rpms..
After looking the motor over at home, I noticed the primer solenoid RED LEVER had rotated to open( up)…. I had noticed this luckily because the o-ring was leaking slightly...it is supposed to be in the DOWN direction for normal running.

I switched it to down and the motor was back to running perfect again…

Soooo check the position of your primer solenoids red lever..hey maybe youll get lucky and it is something that simple!!

PS: you will need to remove the airbox to see the solenoid!!!

bob

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

sorry, no intention of deflating your reply..........although...since I have been poking around here, it seems hundreds of times I have heard guys call the action, "Prime the motor".....

the primer solenoid, is a popular topic, here.

bob

Hey no worries Bob, just wanted to make sure i could still get away with calling it a choke!