1964 Johnson 5.5 CD-21 Tiller Throttle Position Indicator Sticking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWJIII

Cadet
Hello Fine People:
My motor throttle has always jammed up when twisting, what happens is the pretty chrome throttle position label sort of twists and jams under the end of the throttle handle. OK, so I removed the handle, and pretty stainless indicator plate. I am at a loss as to how it was originally connected to the tiller handle, it was loose on the tiller arm after I removed the throttle handle. Was it glued? it did it just fit on there by spring tension? It was taped for many years, but I am working on the engine, and tape is not the right way to hold it on there.
Any knowledge of how it was originally was installed, or retained would be appreciated.
I am attaching a picture of the indicator and tiller shaft.
Thank you, Rob

throttle indicator.JPG

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 Johnson 5.5 CD-21 Tiller Throttle Position Indicator Sticking Question

No glue or tape. It is held in by the tiller handle. One end slides under the lip, then the grip slides on top of the other side to hold in place.

Try over curling the indicator before installing. Is the grip sloppy at all?

RWJIII

Cadet

Try over curling the indicator before installing. Is the grip sloppy at all?

Thank you for the reply.

No, the grip is nice and tight, I think you are right, I am going to try rolling it tighter, then putting it back, the throttle position label was simply too loose before. I hope it works... I was just not sure if there had been some adhesive 50 years ago... There was a lot of sticky stuff, probably hardened grease, etc.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

They were not glued in any way. The problem is it needs some lube (grease) inside the grip where it overlaps the indicator plate. Actually it is a common problem.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

There is normally a molded rib on the underside of the shift handle that holds the indicator ring in place (think it can be seen in your pic, but not sure). The edges of the slot in the ring butt against the rib/ridge to hold it in place. No glue -- maybe a little lube so the hand grip slides easily over the edge of the ring (above). Might have to build up that ridge a little if it's worn down for some reason -- maybe worn down by the PO use.

RWJIII

Cadet

Thank you for your replies, I took a couple more photos just to help the thread, and make this clear for someone else reading. Personally I think they need something more than spring tension of the stainless steel band to hold the indicator plate in place. As oldboat1 said, there is a molded rib under the tiller handle to make a place for the indicator place to grip (added pic). I did re-shape the band to fit more snugly, and cleaned off all the gunk. It does fit OK, but just not as good as I think it should, I considered a tiny brass screw to hold it, but may just use a dab of adhesive. The throttle handle does not really have any ridge inside (added pic). I am really not wanting this to be a problem any more, as when it happens, the throttle is jammed, and it takes two hands to get the throttle to respond. Stuck throttle, BAD!
5.5handle.JPG5.5tillerarm.JPG

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I do not recall a lot ( if any ) problems with these.---It was held in place by the twist grip.-----Now there have been a number of different twist grips available over the years.-Perhaps your is not original.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you grease it like F_R stated, it will be ok. Don't worry, yours is not the first to do that, nor will it be the last.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

twist grip really sort of forces the issue, if the ring is a little loose in particular -- ring can rotate with the grip. little lube can help on the inside of the grip, as posted above. If it continues to be a problem in spite of attempts to fix, think I would probably do a little contact cement. Even if the bond failed, the addition friction might keep the ring from slipping.

nwcove

Admiral

jmo..but that part is nothing more than jewlery on your motor. dont think for one second that the mark on the tiller grip will correspond with slow/start etc etc.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The indicator rubbing on the inside of the twist grip acts the same way as self energizing (drum) brakes on a car. A little bit of friction makes it expand, which increases the friction, which makes it expand more, which increases the friction, which makes it expand......well you get the idea. Anyhoo, as I said, it is very common. Lube it up and get on with life.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

took another look at the addit pics, RW, and the post. Think I would try a little contact cement on the inside of the ring to help secure it, if it continues to be a problem in spite of attempts to fix -- particularly if a throttle control problem. Fix it for looks too. Nothing wrong with that -- nice motor.

Bruzser

Recruit
Hello Fine People:
My motor throttle has always jammed up when twisting, what happens is the pretty chrome throttle position label sort of twists and jams under the end of the throttle handle. OK, so I removed the handle, and pretty stainless indicator plate. I am at a loss as to how it was originally connected to the tiller handle, it was loose on the tiller arm after I removed the throttle handle. Was it glued? it did it just fit on there by spring tension? It was taped for many years, but I am working on the engine, and tape is not the right way to hold it on there.
Any knowledge of how it was originally was installed, or retained would be appreciated.
I am attaching a picture of the indicator and tiller shaft.
Thank you, Rob

View attachment 227848

How do you remove the handle

Status
Not open for further replies.