1975 Johnson 9.9 electric start wiring

JCR113

Recruit
Suprise! Someone signing up with an issue! Ain't that how most forum memberships start? :lol:

I have not so recently gotten a 1975 Johnson 9.9 outboard. I was in the boat when it died last year (bottom end locked up, has since been replaced) so I know it DID run and has been stored indoors on a sawhorse since removed from the boat. I now have access to a different boat I can use this motor on if I can get it running again. My problem is that it has an electric start setup on it and though I would be fine just pulling the cord I 1. Am not one to shy away from a convenience if I can use it and 2. Think it not at least being wired correctly to 'something' may be part of my no spark issue (humor me). I've searched around online and can only seem to find diagrams for bigger motors that don't seem to have similar colors to what I have and I have a small dilemma of not having the 'boat end' of the harness at the connector.
0634C6BA-5525-44AD-81B2-FED83C95C2D8_zpsgmtcttu9.jpg
I have 2 blue wires, a black (which I can easily assume is ground), 2 seperate sized red ones, and a brown one (that is not connected to anything on the engine side). My brainstorming makes me think my issue has something to with the blue wires not being connected to something, but am unsure what and where.

Any point in the correct direction or smack upside the head is appreciated so I can get ready to get out on the water! (well after making sure the boat it's destined for is ready as well)

AlTn

Commander
Re: 1975 Johnson 9.9 electric start wiring

google..leeroy's ramblings...maintaining 9.9/15 hp johnson/evinrude outboards...he has a wiring diagram that may help you

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Here ya go....

Attachments

• Wiring 1974-76 9.9 AND 15 HP.jpg
    Wiring 1974-76 9.9 AND 15 HP.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 9

JCR113

Recruit

Don't know why I couldn't find it on my own, thank you ! Now I can go back to this project. Sorry for delaying responding as well, didn't get a chance to get online long yesterday. Diagram saved and printed. This is why I love forums like this!

JCR113

Recruit
I know I haven't checked in here in a while (my automotive list of issues took priority. Too many cars to maintain, 1 is still down...). Thanks to the diagram and other searching here on iboats I finally got to dedicate some time to the little 9.9 and got it running like a top! (On a horse in a garbage can folio of water). Now I have to make sure the boat is water worthy... Hopefully I'll get out on the river SOME time this summer...

JCR113

Recruit
Got the little guy hung
E1425497-B130-47DD-9078-2E3524C1134D_zps5e5x17ol.jpg

now it's mess with the boat while I wait for my stickers to arrive, time to scavenge and spend some money!

Last edited: