1956 Evinrude 15 HP

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
H I read this forum all the time but never post because everyone here is way more knowledgeable than me.

Any way, I recently bought a 16' 58 crestliner with a 56 15 HP evinrude. The boat is great and I had no expectation of the motor running and the guy I got it from couldn't start it because he threw out the gas can. He said a friend had it before him and it ran and had a tune up just before he bought it. He never ran it after he got it.

Much to my surprise when I took the cover off it basically looked new except for some cob webs. I changed the gear oil and got a good deal on a pressurized gas can off craigslist. I filled up my test tank/trash can and realized I had never started a tiller like this but I got it started. I think the handle is out of adjustment because it wouldn't start when I put it on start but did start if I put it on shift. Actually runs real well and seems to pump water ok.. I'm very happy because I only paid 700 for the boat, trailer and motor.

I came here to ask a few questions.
1. I intend to use this with remote controls. I think it was half set up. Do I need to do anything to the tiller? Id like to adjust it so the arrow and label line up. I have the control box and will get new cables. I had it hooked up and I think they are frozen. Steering is all there so thats all good. I think I just leave it as is and connect the cable?

2. Is it as easy to replace the impeller? I have been reading up and it looks easy enough. It pumps OK but I want to be as allitious as I can.

3. Should I just replace the points and coils? It seems to be fine and this motor was clearly taken care of but they are cheap I keep reading. I'm going to replace the fuel and air lines on it. They look bad. Any other regularly replaced items I should look at?

Any help or pointers is greatly appreciated. I intend to use this with my fiance and child so I want it to be dependable. I know its old but I keep reading how good they can be. I figure its worth it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 Evinrude 15 HP

For sure its worth it! They don't make em like that anymore.

The water pump is very easy to do, glad you want to do it. I would recommend it. Remove oval panel on side of leg with 2 standard screws, remove lower 3/8" bolt in shift rod coupler, shift into forward to get connector up and out of way. Then remove the bolts from the gearcase, and slide it down and off. Remove the ss bolts from impeller housing, slide that up and off the drive shaft. Remove o ring at top first. Pull out old impeller, and twist in new one. Lower housing back down driveshaft, ensuring key is lined up with slot in impeller. bolt her up. I put OMC Gasket sealing compound on threads. Install new o ring at top of drive shaft. Grease splines, and end of copper water tube. Slide gearcase up, ensuring water line slides smoothly into grommet. Bolt up, then shift back into neutral, guiding shift rod into coupler. Ensure detent in shift rod is perfectly aligned with the bottom hole. Put in bolt, then screw cover back on. Test all gears, and you are done!

You can inspect coils, to see if they have been done. If they have, and it is sparking and running on both cylinders, leave well enough alone. Pull off recoil, then access plate in flywheel, to inspect.

What is the compression?

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds easy enough. I'm a little mechanically inclined and have had a few outboards so I know a few things I've just need done a water pump.

I don't know what the compression is. I only got this on Friday. It seems to be OK. I didn't run it for very long because I wasn't 100% sure my trash can was tall enough. It was pumping OK but if I read right these motors should spit out a lot of water?

It looks like maybe the head gasket was replaced sometime if the recent past. I was going to try and track down a tester at an auto zone of somewhere.

If I didn't have a broken foot I'd have taken to a lake today...

zeke67

Cadet

I have one of those. For the controls, there is a little stand off (for lack of the correct term) that mounts on the cowl on that holds the cable lock for the shifter. You don't need anything on the throttle side (other than the lock).

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the locks. On mine the locks mount right to the cowl. I was thinking I had to disengage the tiller control?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think I would call the "locks" mounts. No need to mess with the tiller unless twist grip seems to be stiff probably from dried up lube.
Just fold the tiller out of the way.
The Throttle indicator band is just a reference point and may not be in sync with the actual throttle position.
I think it was just coincidental that it started in the shift position.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is a friction plug in the twist grip to make it stay where you put it when not running remote controls. Remove the friction plug (leave the spring in) to make remote controls easier to operate.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

I have a '54 15 HP 'Rude and had to replace the coils a few yrs ago due to cracks in the insulation causing it to lose spark intermittently.
Mike

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't think of just moving the band. Does it really matter there it is set as long as it starts and in not revved up when shifting gears? Or does it matter at all where it at since I'm going to use remote controls?

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll have to look for the friction plug. Thanks for the tips everyone

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The motor has a lock-out to prevent revving too high in neutral. I don't generally pay any attention to the markings and go by feel. Shift at lowest idle, start where it wants to start. VERY few motors actually have those things set accurately due to looseness in linkage, variance in set-up, etc.

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good info from everyone. Thanks again. I'm trying to get my head around how it works with the remote throttle. Maybe it sounds stupid but I've just never done it before. The twist grip has a setting that says slow between shift and off. When I hook up the throttle cable I assume I figure out where it wants to start and set throttle to that to pull start. Would I be able to stop the motor by pulling the throttle lever all the way back or do I actually have to turn the twist grip to off.

I know these are probably dumb questions but I want to make sure I know how and why it works.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Motor should shut off at lowest possible throttle setting, on the tiller or the remote...

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I knew it was a dumb question but i wanted to ask. One last thing that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to also. The fuel and is air hoses are pretty bad coming from the carb and manifold. Actually the fuel hose was leaking. Those are not anything special, right? I know I can a use regular fuel hose for the fuel line but is there something special about the air hose?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Nope. It's a relatively low air pressure coming from the crankcase, so use the same hose for both. A good quality ethanol resistant hose is recommended. I believe the ID is 5/32".

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

5/32 is the proper size, hard to find other than at the dealer.

If you don't have a dealer nearby, a more common 3/16" will work. the stock fuel clamps wont close as well though.

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So because I'm directionally challanged, I removed both bolts from the shift rod coupler and I removed the driveshaft from the gearcase to get the impeller off the bottom instead of taking it off the top. Is that bad? Do I need to do anything special to re assemble it?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Nope, just drop it back in. No worries.

For the shift rod, just make sure the detents are perfectly aligned with the holes in the coupler before installing the bolts.

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what I figured. Thanks again. I really appericate it. I have the new impeller, fuel line for tank and 3 feet of 5/32 hose on the way. The one that was in there looked like some kind of art project of something. I'm surprised it pumped anything.