95 Johnson 50 tilt/trim problems

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1995 Johnson 50 (J50TLEOD) that has developed a tilt/trim problem. I bought the boat last year from a neighbor that had it parked in his driveway for the last 5 years without it ever being used.

I got it running again after going thru a bunch of stuff, and all last year the tilt/trim worked just fine without any problems.

I just had it on the water yesterday to test it out for the season and the tilt/trim will allow the motor to drop just fine, but its having a hard time raising the motor, and it has developed a fluid leak where the ram exits the top of the cylinder.

I have the factory service manual and it looks pretty straightforward. But after some reading... I hear that the top pin is a real bear to get off, and it takes a special tool. I was wondering if its possible to unhook the bottom of the trim pump from the bracket and replace the seals while leaving the top pin installed?

I saw a rebuild service for $229... but I would have to get that top pin out for that to happen. I also found out that the resident tilt/trim expert (RRitt) is no longer with us, may he R.I.P.

I have also read that others have had this problem and it turned into a LOT more than just replacing the seals. So at this point I am looking for advice. Im not afraid to dig into it myself, but I dont want it to end up costing me more... a $50 seal job turned into a $300 rebuild.

I am also wondering if I can get it to limp through the spring fishing season April, May and into June for us... by adding fluid and not using the trim unless I really need to.

thanks for the help!

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 95 Johnson 50 tilt/trim problems

I started messing with it tonight and the top pin came right out... so I went ahead and pulled the T/T unit and will drop it off at the local marine repair shop, hopefully just a seal job.

I did call another local place and they quoted 4 hrs labor because the guy said he would have to pull the motor to work on it.... HUH?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Boy, are you lucky or what ??:)

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

Ive never messed with one before so I wasn't really sure what to expect. All I know is that pin came right out. In a way Im glad this happened because during the teardown I found the wires going to the trim sending unit had melted insulation all the way back to where it plugs in... right next to the fuel pump!

Looks like it shorted out at some point... and it looks like it happened well before I bought it since everything was very crispy.

greg..

Recruit

rritt's rebuild kits were great you can do this yourself with the oem seal kit but u will not get poppets. his poppets had O-rings on them. I got a kit last fall. wanted another one for my brother-in-law. Been trying to contact him but by your post that's not going to happen. couldn't find any info on this. where did that info about R.I.P. come from is that confirmed.

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

I tried sending him a private message but his mailbox was full... so I looked at his profile to get his regular email and emailed him, this was the reply....
Hello Mitch,

Unfortunately the person who used to offer rebuilds and advice has
recently passed away. I am sorry that I cannot help, but I have heard
that iBoats is a good forum full of knowledgeable people who may be
able to help. I hope you find a solution to your trim problem.

I did go ahead and order the seal kit since nobody had one local. All the local marine places are of course backed up several weeks so it looks like I may be attempting this myself. Do I even need the poppet valves? Im hoping the new seals will do the trick since it has just started to leak.

greg..

Recruit

you probably can get by without the poppets they are not available anyway. look through all the posts you can from rritt on this subject will find many tips. I was having leak down issues along with leaking ram. Keep your poppets and seats paired up. Also keep the spring on the little plunger sticking out of ram side of piston separate from the rest you will know what i am talking about when you get in there. Also lightly file tiny angle on shoulder of ram to make it go though cap and seal easier. Good Luck!

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice
I never got around to replacing the seals. I just make sure it has fluid and it's always worked.

Until recently it has been fine but this spring it developed a new issue. The trim motor was full of water. The water corroded the brush springs and it wouldn't work. I was pressed for time since we were going on vacation so I fixed it by cleaning everything up, and I made my own brush springs from one that I found at the hardware store.

I had it on the water for a week last June and it worked perfectly. I am fixing to spend another week on the water here soon and noticed it's back to acting weird. Kind of like the trim motor is working... but very slowly. I will tear into it again soon. But I'm betting the motor is full of water again. Anyone else have this issue? I did grease the seal before putting it back together. Anybody use silicone for this?