1985 Johnson GT 150, Couple more Questions

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So new rectifier/regulator, new stator, new tach, new sending wire... Tach still doesn't work? Suggestions to why?

Also, since I put the new rectifier/regulator and stator on, the overheat alarm goes off when starting the boat and won't let it run... After I keep tryin for a few minutes, it starts and runs fine and the alarm never goes off? Sticky thermostat? Sensor?Suggestions and help please, thanks in advance!

daselbee

Commander
Re: 1985 Johnson GT 150, Couple more Questions

There are no sensors that will keep it from running. THe sensors could all be disconnected, and they could all be blaring away....engine will still run.
The sensors have nothing to do with the engine running.

I cannot answer your questions specifically...too much weird symptoms.

You might look carefully at the grey wire on the engine terminal strip. That is the tach wire that leads up front, thru the red plug....get your ohmmeter out and make sure you have continuity all the way to the tach. Maybe your terminal strip is wired wring...one wire shifted to either side....

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ran a new sending wire from grey off of rectifier to signal post on tach, still nothing. I wonder y the overheat alarm is goin off before boat even starts up?

daselbee

Commander

Key on, horn sounds? Could be as simple as a bad horn. They are supposed to chirp...maybe not one as old as 85...not sure when the change was made.
Disconnect the tan wire from the horn somehow. Leave the purple, turn key on. If horn still sounds, bad horn.

You have a three wire horn or a two wire?