1963 40 hp evinrude

davollman

Recruit
well started in on this 40 hp evinrude did a spark and compression test, compression was fine no spark. pulled the flywheel found both coils were cracked. I replaced both still no spark, so I replaced both condensers still no spark. replaced points and set them with timing pointer, got spark on cyl 1 no spark on cyl 2. took the coil on cyl 1 and swapped with cyl 2 spark on cyl 1 only swapped condensers and points with cyl 2 still spark on only cyl 1 which doing these test shows me that the coils, points and condensers are in working condition. removed the kill wire from points on cylinder 2 still spark on cylinder 1 only.made sure no oil had seeped through onto the plate and points clean as a whistle. The only thing I haven't done is replaced the plug wire and the timing plate, and turned motor over my solenoid after disconnecting key switch harness what else could there be? ???

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1963 40 hp evinrude

What exactly did your spark test consist of? Were you using a gap tester or just grounding the plug to the head.If you've replaced the coils and condensers and the points are clean,really clean, and correctly gapped it doesn't leave much.Check the plug boot, the lead,and the plug itself.It is not unknown for even a new plug to be faulty,it,s happened to me a couple of times.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

well started in on this 40 hp evinrude did a spark and compression test, compression was fine no spark. pulled the flywheel found both coils were cracked. I replaced both still no spark, so I replaced both condensers still no spark. replaced points and set them with timing pointer, got spark on cyl 1 no spark on cyl 2. took the coil on cyl 1 and swapped with cyl 2 spark on cyl 1 only swapped condensers and points with cyl 2 still spark on only cyl 1 which doing these test shows me that the coils, points and condensers are in working condition. removed the kill wire from points on cylinder 2 still spark on cylinder 1 only.made sure no oil had seeped through onto the plate and points clean as a whistle. The only thing I haven't done is replaced the plug wire and the timing plate, and turned motor over my solenoid after disconnecting key switch harness what else could there be? ???

i think you answered your question

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

First ensure that the points are clean, and dressed. Clean means running a points file through them many times, then cleaning. I dip business card stock or paper that wont leave fibres in acetone and run that through.

Have you tested continuity from the coil (ground lead) to the spark plug boot?