1975 Evinrude 115 shifting problems

markh28

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Evinrude model 115593. 1975 115hp

Motor would go in reverse but not forward. I re-attached the shift cable properly (according to my service manual) and tested it again and it still wouldn't go forward but would go in reverse. Previous owner had the lower unit off to change water pump. I suspect that the shift rod length adjustment is the culprit here.

I now have the lower unit off to check the shift rod height. I figured I would test it to see if it would in fact go in and out of fwd/reverse. But by pushing down and pulling up on the shift rod, all I can get it to move is about 1/8" either way, and it will not shift into either gear. The prop spins freely in neutral. I am not putting too much force on it, I dont want to pull it out of the gearcase or break something, but since it shifted into reverse when it was connected to the motor, shouldnt it shift into reverse by pulling up on the shift rod? What could be my problem here? Is this a valid way to test that my gearcase is working fine?

Also, I can not find the shift rod length spec in my service manual. I looked in the shift rod length sticky on this forum and my year/model was not covered. Does anyone know what this measurement should be?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Evinrude 115 shifting problems

The shifting is done with hydraulic oil pressure assisting the motion of the shift rod.-----So lightly grip the driveshaft and turn it the way the motor runs and see if that helps the shifting.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

There is no shift rod adjustment. You screw the rod in until it bottoms and then back it off until the upper connector lines up with the upper linkage. Sounds like there is something wrong in the gear case.

markh28

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You're right boobie. I did find in the manual where it tells me to tighten the shift rod connector, then "back it off 2 or more turns". I ended up backing it off 5 turns and put the lower unit back on. I still was not able to get the lower unit to shift when it was disconnected from the power head. But once I put it all back together I started the motor (with both cables disconnected) and was able to shift in and out of both gears freely by manually moving the linkage. The shifting on this motor is "hydraulic assisted" so much that you really cant go through the gears unless the motor is running. In any case, all is well, and ultimately, it was a shift rod adjustment that was needed.

Its been said many times on this forum, but just because you found it that way, doesn't mean its supposed to be that way.