Only starts if i prime , 77 johnson 35

77 johnson 35

Recruit
It has been setting 12 years , the carb is good i even tried a second carb, if i prime it( actually squirt fuel mixture into the throat of the carb) it will run till that gas is gone and die , fuel gets to the carb bowl and pasages are clean and clear
could it be a leaf valve?
Thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Only starts if i prime , 77 johnson 35

If a leaf valve was broke, the engine would run on one cylinder only.

Installing another carburetor proves nothing UNLESS you know for a fact that the 2nd carburetor was in perfect condition. Best to clean and rebuild the original carburetor to be sure rather than to play a guessing game.

If pumping the fuel primer bulb results in having the engine run (acting as a manual fuel pump), then the most logical problem would be the fuel pump.

77 johnson 35

Recruit

If a leaf valve was broke, the engine would run on one cylinder only.

Installing another carburetor proves nothing UNLESS you know for a fact that the 2nd carburetor was in perfect condition. Best to clean and rebuild the original carburetor to be sure rather than to play a guessing game.

If pumping the fuel primer bulb results in having the engine run (acting as a manual fuel pump), then the most logical problem would be the fuel pump.

while pumping the primer bulb does get gas to the bowl it doesnt start the motor , im sorry I didnt make it clear , by priming I meant actualy squirting fuel mixture into the throat of the carburetor

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Will the engine stay running if the primer bulb is squeezed after it starts? is what Joe asked

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

while pumping the primer bulb does get gas to the bowl it doesnt start the motor , im sorry I didnt make it clear , by priming I meant actualy squirting fuel mixture into the throat of the carburetor

Yes, I knew what you meant. You explained that in post #1.

If, even with the 2nd carburetor, you can only get the engine to fire by spraying the fuel mixture into the carburetor throat, that indicates that the fuel mixture is not flowing thru either carburetor.

Clean and rebuild the carburetor.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is the high speed jet in the carb bowl clean. Did you check it ??