90hp Evinrude Starter Probs

91Force

Cadet
hey all

So i got a new motor put on the boat and once i received it back from the service shop i had start problems from the get go. initally i would turn the key and nothing would happen no clicks just the electronic choke when the key was pushed in, i rang the shop back and asked why , he talk me through moving the controller so it engaged neutral , still no avail , after about 20 attempts it finally kicked and ran perfect over the xmas holidays.

Now 2-3 months later im slowly having problems with the same issue , so i swapped out the old neutral starter switch hoping that was the problem, still nothing , still wont start. So i checked the fuse running to the starter solenoid , seems fine so i tested the solenoid ( dont have tester ) but with a wire which i was told to try using the main battery terminal to the yellow wire terminal and it finally kicks over. i pulled all the wires off to the solenoid and cleaned them all but still no joy when turning the key , nothing its like the battery isnt connected. no clicks just the elect choke. not overly sure if the solenoid is stuffed but going to get a new 1 in the morning.

Is there anything i havent tried ?

almost at the end of my tether any input would be greatly appriciated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90hp Evinrude Starter Probs

When you said you got a new engine, what do you mean by "new"? Helps when we know the model number/year... Make sure the engine cable end leads are perfectly clean and attached tightly to the engine and the battery terminals. To test the starter, put a set of automotive jumper cables direct to the starter from a know strong battery. If the starter cranks the flywheel normally, it's probably ok. At that point, I'd have a look at the start solenoid. If it's old, the internal contacts can get burned over time. At some point, when engergized, the contacts won't transfer enough current to turn the starter. You said that was the next replacement item. Hopefully, that does the trick.

91Force

Cadet

my apologies by new i mean replaced the old 1, 1993 Evinrude 90hp , model E90TLETS.

Ive checked and cleaned every cable and lead between the ignition to the starter motor all seem perfectly fine. starter solenoid will go in tomorrow but not sure if thats the route cause or not. i was informed to try connecting the battery terminal on the solenoid to the yellow small connection with some wire and see if it turns the starter motor and kick the engine which it did, however cant remember exactly if he said it was bad if it did that or if there is no problem.

everything else works fine, intial beep on key turn , trim and elec choke works fine and all other electronics.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Do a jumper from the big +ve on the solenoid where battery cable goes to the small +ve on the solenoid that doesnt have a wire to ground.
If that works its your starter switch.
By the way where are you in NZ?
New snapper rules here last week

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Jut re read your thing, sounds like solenoids ok.
You need to find out why you arent getting 12v down that starter line to the small terminal to operate the starter solenoid.
You say the elec choke works. so i would suspect the switch or a break in the wire between control and solenoid, or just a worn connection in the engine where you lug the control into, clean that up espeically if you run in the salt sea here

91Force

Cadet

hey bosun

Tried jumping earlier doing exactly that, and it turned the start motor and engine cranked. its just when i try to start with key, nothing

From Palmy , yea so heard i dont know the full details though yet?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

30cm minimum, pretty rough when the commercial people can pull out 25cm snapper.
Who would want to buy and fillet a 25cm to begin with, only good for a fish bowl

Yeah sound like key switch or a break in the wire between.
Here a link so you know what to look at in your switch and which wire to trace
continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: Ignition Switch

Bosunsmate

Admiral

We mainly only get snapper inshore up here, would really like a blue cod for a change. You have to go off shore normally to get the good bigger stuff.
Hope you dont have to fish that river in palmy by the milk factories....

Itl be the yellow and red stripe wire

91Force

Cadet

So typical of commercial fisheries .

I pulled the control apart an hr ago took all the wires of the switch cleaned em up , checked they wernt frayed or broken and put then back on all seemed ok. tracing it back to the motor however wont be as simple as the wiring is all contact in rubber casing.

Im doubting wether i should pay for the starter solenoid now.

91Force

Cadet

Nah not that deseprate to fish haha , usually hit wanganui or foxton , im from marlborough so its a bit of a change.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yep if you can get out of getting that solenoid i would, as yours seems good.
I keep a little jumper wire on board to do that technique just in case this happens at sea, i dont fancy rope starting my 60hp
Yep tracing it would be hard, i use a multimeter to check for continuity between control and solenoid. If thats ok then its the switch.
Ive run a black wire along the control cable before with cable ties as it was a lot cheaper than a replacement cable and quicker.
Best to check continuity to the red plug in engine as sometimes its around sthere it cracks up.

Yeah i wont forget the first snapper dumping i saw by these commercial fellas, such a waste

Bosunsmate

Admiral

hey were those Marlborough boats from marlborough?
Yours looks like one
yeah palmy from marlborough-big change

Bosunsmate

Admiral

gotta go out for a whiskey but yeah try that and post back if you have any more issues, i or someone else will give you some pointers.
I use to live in palmy, cant believe the fitz and the trees on the avenue a gone, probably the fats is gone too

91Force

Cadet

Im unsure mate , Fleetline Sapphire is what i got , similar though.

Yeah had to get use to bar crossing up here none of that in marlborough.

Pretty annoyed really had this problem a few months now only had the motor since christmas and its just got worse and worse to the point its stopped now. havent had much luck with motors to be honest had problems with the last 1 aswell.

Fed

Commander

Have you tried holding the key in the start position with one hand & moving the controller back & forward with the other at the same time?

Everything points to the neutral switch so far.

C'mon Bosun I can pull start my 90hp with one hand, it's like having another extra battery on the boat that costs peanuts and never goes flat plus a spare starter motor, key switch, neutral switch, fuse and all the wiring and connections that goes with them. All this stuff rolled into a bit of rope is a bargain.

91Force

Cadet

so i went and bought a multi meter today , seems i have 12.5v at the battery and 12.5v where it connects to the start solenoid. the starter wire on the smaller connecter down from the battery terminal read's 0

sorry if this is plain jane im really no good when it come to electrics.

when i disconnect the start wires from the neutral start switch its 0.10v from the feed , Problem?

Last edited:

91Force

Cadet

PROBLEM SOLVE !!!!! finally

so i suspected it was the yellow start wire that conects the neutral start to the starter solenied, so i bypassed using a few meter of wire straight from the neutral switch feed back to the connection on the soleniod , now its cranks perfect with the key everytime.

Fed

Commander

The chances of a broken wire are pretty slim but there is a good chance the problem is in the big red plug.