30 HP Johnson electric start on the blink. Could use some advice.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1995 30 HP Johnson electric start tiller. Last year when I went to start it,I would press the button and all I would hear is a grinding or humming noise. If I kept pushing it eventually, it caught and the motor started. Recently I just tried starting it after the winter and same thing, I kept hearing a humming noise and finally it caught and started right up. Im guessing this is the electric starter??? Maybe not pushing up the teeth to catch the main sproket of the engine??? Was wondering how hard this will be to replace and how expensive. Im not a outboard mechanic but just know the basics. Here is a pic of the inside. Can anyone explain what is happening and my remedies? Thanks much. Bob

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 30 HP Johnson electric start on the blink. Could use some advice.

There is no need to rush out and buy a new starter !------these starters are extremely easy to take apart for inspection.---Then again it may just need a wee bit of thin grease on the bendix threads.--------A fully charged known good battery should also be tried.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Also make sure that ALL electrical connections are really clean and tight.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How hard is it to get out of there to look at?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't jump to conclusions. Observe what is actually happening. Chattering sound often comes from the starter solenoid, which is usually caused by loose or corroded battery cable connections. Don't just look at them, take them apart and clean them shiny bright clean, and reassemble tightly.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its not a chattering sound its like a humming sound sort of.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

If it is humming then the starter is turning.--Trouble is the armature as to spin up quickly in order for the bendix to be thrown up to engage the flywheel.----------So check to make sure the battery is fully charged and in good shape.----Check that wiring is in good shape.----Check that bendix is free and lubricated with a wee bit of thin grease.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you explain what the bendix is and if I have to remove the starter from the motor to get to it? Thanks much.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The bendix is the assembly that rises up into the flywheel gear.-----You can manually spin that up to try and put a little grease on the spiral " gear " that shows up.-------No need to remove the starter for this.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about spraying some wd40 in there? Would that hurt anything?

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would use a good marine grease. Less than 4 bucks at Walmart. WD40 is a water displacement penetrating compound. Yes, it does lubricate but not to the efficiency of an actual grease.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Inertia is what makes the bendix gear rise. The starter motor begins to rotate almost instantly, and the gear tries to remain stationary for just a fraction of a second. During that fraction of a second, the gear must rise, or it is too late. What I'm saying is that the starter must begin rotating almost instantly (battery, connections, condition) AND the bendix gear must not have any stickiness. With all due respect, I don't think I'd use grease for that reason. Prefer a drop of oil.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK thanks. Can you tell me exactly where I would put a drop of oil and if I could do it without taking anything apart?