1982 johnson power trim wiring problems

deerslater1435

Recruit
Hello I have a 1982 johnson 140 hp motor that I just purchased with power tilt and trim! My problem is I have no ideal how to wire this unit up! Coming from the tilt/trim unit it has two sets of wires coming of it! One set looks like it goes to some type of cylinder and the other goes into a little black switch that might be some type of limit switch maybe? Coming from my gear box that has a up down button on it, is three wires I beleive blue,green,and red!

Any help is appreciated I have tried to research this to see if I could fine out! I did see we're there is suppost to be relays for some tilt unites but don't no if this is one of them or not! Thank you any help appreciated I have no control box or nothing!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1982 johnson power trim wiring problems

Hello I have a 1982 johnson 140 hp motor that I just purchased with power tilt and trim! My problem is I have no ideal how to wire this unit up! Coming from the tilt/trim unit it has two sets of wires coming of it! One set looks like it goes to some type of cylenoid and the other goes into a little black switch that might be some type of limit switch maybe? Coming from my gear box that has a up down button on it, is three wires I beleive blue,green,and red!

Any help is appreciated I have tried to research this to see if I could fine out! I did see we're there is suppost to be relays for some tilt unites but don't no if this is one of them or not! Thank you any help appreciated I have no control box or nothing!

:welcome: to iboats

Have a look here and see if this helps identify the issues
http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/13645_2/6b.pdf

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 johnson power trim wiring problems

You can look inside the first post on page one of this forum, called the "top secret" files. Inside there is website information which will direct you to online, color wiring schematics-probably including your engine.

Last edited: