Oil alarm wiring on 225 hp Johnson 1987

SgtHockey

Recruit
So I inherited a boat from my father in law, have spent last two years fixing it up, most major item was pulling the 225 Hp Johnson outboard a 1987 to replace the transom bracket which was all but rusted thru. That is all done and now I am finally getting around to reconnecting all the engine controls/wiring and realized that the labels I had placed on the low oil alarm wiring are missing and I have no recollection of where they connect to on the engine. Cannot find this info in my service manual so hoping there is somebody out there who can help me out.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Oil alarm wiring on 225 hp Johnson 1987

So I inherited a boat from my father in law, have spent last two years fixing it up, most major item was pulling the 225 Hp Johnson outboard a 1987 to replace the transom bracket which was all but rusted thru. That is all done and now I am finally getting around to reconnecting all the engine controls/wiring and realized that the labels I had placed on the low oil alarm wiring are missing and I have no recollection of where they connect to on the engine. Cannot find this info in my service manual so hoping there is somebody out there who can help me out.

:welcome: to iboats

Have a look here and see if this will help

Boatinfo - 1973-1991 Evinrude Service manual

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

you said cant find it in your svc manual if you have an oem manual the wiring diagrams are at the back.

SgtHockey

Recruit

The wire diagram that applies is on the last page of the manual, it shows the tan wire going to the low oil switch from the main harness plug, that wire is connected to the corresponding wire on the motor which is what I assume connects the sensor in the motor to the alarm up in the dash. The wires that I do not know where to connect is the pair of wires going from the oil pick up assembly in the oil tank to the motor. I believe these are a low oil level alarm from the float in the oil tank that sounds an alarm so the operator doesn't run the VRO pump dry and therefore run the engine without any oil. I am assuming they attach directly to the motor somewhere, there aren't any unused plugs.

Any more advice short of taking it to a local mechanic and paying them an outrageous hourly rate for the simple task of landing the wires, I perfectly capable, I just need to know where. Worst of all I feel like a dumb A#% for not better documenting where everything was when I took it apart, but in my defense I also didn't think it was going to sit apart for this long.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

if the harness is all intact, on port side look for tan wire with single small plugin type connector,the two wires from the tank one goes to that connector the other to ground. Also look around there sometimes when disconnecting the connector gets pulled off see if theres a loose tan wire there.

SgtHockey

Recruit

So I figured it out. I had an extra tan wire that goes to the temp gauge that had me confused. So I tied the tan harness wire to one of the pair from the tank, the other to ground on the engine. All seems to be working well. Thanks for the help.