Installed New Stator and Rectifier... Boat won't start now! HELP!

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I put a new gauges to replace old ones since tach wouldn't work. I put new stator and regulator/rectifier in and also glued two of the magnets back in place under flywheel. I was hoping this would fix the tach and the problem of boat wanting to bog down under WOT. When motor gets warm, after a a mile or two of runnin it, it would lose power then surge back, lose power then surge back, sometimes even die running 45mph. Some trips it would never do this at all. Long story short, I started the boat after installing those parts... Started up great on muffs, ran for 30 seconds, temp alarm sounded and motor won't start now. Sometimes on the water the alarm would sound before it lost power then immediately quit and boat would run fine? Bad sensor? What can I do now to figure this out. Tell tale is good and I have a rebuild kit for water pump but I do t think that's it. Please help! Johnson 150 GT 1985

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Installed New Stator and Rectifier... Boat won't start now! HELP!

Update: started it again, no alarm, started right up and idled strong! I think it's actually idling faster than before? Is that right? Also can I run a wire straight from gray on terminal strip to back of tach?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Installed New Stator and Rectifier... Boat won't start now! HELP!

Yes............