1990 Johnson 50 HP VRO propulsion issue

J Grey

Recruit
Good Morning - I have a 1990 Johnson 50HP VRO outboard. Went for a ride yesterday and something strange happened. We were on a full plane coming back in and suddenly we lost propulsion. The motor was running fine but we could only idle back to the ramp. Every time I put the throttle up, it seemed like the motor was putting itself in neutral and not turning the prop accordingly. Checked the prop, pin was in place and the prop spun freely. Flushed the motor out with earmuffs when I got home and it seemed fine, but I know it's all different when there is resistance in the water. Could it be a shift solenoid? deeper Prop issue? Thanks for the help.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 Johnson 50 HP VRO propulsion issue

if the motor revs up like its in neutral when running at speed you most likely spun the hub on the prop, is there any noise (grinding- clicking) when this happens?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

No shift solenoid in that motor.----Try another prop.

J Grey

Recruit

if the motor revs up like its in neutral when running at speed you most likely spun the hub on the prop, is there any noise (grinding- clicking) when this happens?

No grinding or clicking. The prop would turn, but only at idle speed and very slowly.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Any metal bits in the gear oil ?