1999 evinrude 115 ficht engine stall?

hi guys the engine starts and runs from idle to wot fine with no misses or anything. problem I'm having is if I give it gas from idle and built rpms and put it back into idle right away it stalls. if I put it back to idle slowly it almost stalls but gains rpms and goes back to idle. I did notice that at idle it's rpms are around 800 , I thought it should be at lease 1000 rpms at idle? thanks for any help guys.

daselbee

Commander
Re: 1999 evinrude 115 ficht engine stall?

What codes are present?
I would suspect the TPS first off.

no codes . comes up good with code test. I said it stalls but it is more of a "shut off" thing. the motor just stops if I put it from say 1500 rpms to idle. but if I put it to idle slowly it will stay running. I'm gonna test the tps sometime today .

daselbee

Commander

I am not exactly sure if there is a code for a faulty TPS. I would think that if it was open or shorted there would be a code.
But, you may have a dead spot on the resistive carbon wiper that allows voltage changes as the TPS rotates. I don't know if that would throw a code or not.

I will go down and look at my 2004 225 manual to see what kind of codes the TPS throws. And I am aware that the two engines are 5 years apart, and probably improved...so this will be just reference info that may or may not apply.

Post back in a few minutes.

daselbee

Commander

OK....TPS has three codes associated with it. 12, 13, 14. 12 is TPS (no other info). 13 is TPS below range <.37v. 14 is TPS above range >4.77 v.

I really don't think the EMM detects glitches in the voltage reading from the TPS. You know, momentary fluctuations that might stall the motor.

The TPS should smoothly vary the voltage on the green wire from >.37v to <4.77 volts as you rotate it thru it's range. If you go slow, you might see voltage jumping.

This is for 2004 225, but I bet the system is the same.

Another long shot...I never looked at an engine like yours....but mine has an exhaust pressure fitting on the EMM that connects with a hose down to the exhaust adapter. The EMM monitors the exhaust pressure.
I see by looking at the parts diagrams, that there is a hose #17 on the diag, definition is "Hose, ECU to 30 fitting" It is not available, and it was 25 bucks. That ain't a plain old hose. Follow that hose down and see if you have a clogged exhaust pressure fitting. You may not have one, but something is up with that expensive hose.

This EMM is not water cooled is it?

hi and thank you. my engines emm is water cooled. i will look at the hose and exhaust pressure fitting. i was lucky enough to find the same engine that had one bad cylinder but all other good parts ,so i have a lot of extra parts .

well the exhaust pressure sensor is part of the emm so not able to be replaced on its own.can I change the tp sensor without messing up the emm.will I have to have it reprogrammed?? I have a new one on my parts engine.just wondering. and thanks again daselbee for all your help.

daselbee

Commander

How did the TPS test out?

I am referring to the exhaust pressure fitting that the hose attaches to. They clog. The sensor itself is always inside the EMM.

TPS must be calibrated for proper voltage at idle position of linkage. No EMM re-programming is required. I don't have your manual, so I don't know the procedure. More than likely set it for a certain voltage at closed throttle position....maybe 0.5v considering the out of low range being 0.37 volts, and considering my engine idles with a TPS voltage of .55v.

You gotta assume similarities in these systems. I do anyway. :joyous: For the purists on here.....

daselbee

Commander

Here's an idea.....since you are running now, start it at idle, measure votlage from that green wire on TPS to ground, and set the new one's voltage to be the same.

thanks daselbee. my manual says that I should make a "mark" on the old sensor and where it screws on the holder before being removed. then transfer the mark onto the new sensor and match the marks up before screwing it on. I would think that that would leave some room error but maybe its that easy. going to try to find sometime today to switch it out,but I have a 7 ,12 and 1 year old running around the house and they all "need" daddy as soon as I get a wrench out LOL. thanks again daselbee for your time on this.

well I changed the tps sensor and it did not fix issue. I did however do a seafoam decarb and it has really helped a lot. the engine responds much better and it does not stall as much. it still stalls from time to time but much less. going to give it another cleaning today some time and see if it helps more.on another note when going over the engine i noticed that the crackcase position sensor is cracked on the top. not sure if this could "short" the sensor out or not but I might replace it anyway.