85 Johnson 150: Idle Screw or What??

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There is a red arrow shaped plastic thing with a thread on black plastic end... When I turn it, it changes how fast the boat idles. Is this an idle screw or something else? Should I not mess with it? Also noticed when I turn it, it will occasionally let a drop of fuel come out? Thanks in advance

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 85 Johnson 150: Idle Screw or What??

Also, should starting the boat on muffs turn my grass black? Makes me think it's running rich but I dunno?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You should obtain a service manual specificly for that engine and read it thru so as not to make an expensive mistake. The red thing you're speaking of is the fuel primer solenoid... the RED lever switches it from manual to the automatic position. Leave that RED lever facing the other end of the solenoid.

(Fuel Primer Solenoid Function)
(J. Reeves)

The RED lever...... The normal operating/running position is to have that red lever positioned over top of the solenoid and aimed at the other end of the solenoid, gently turned to its stop. This is the normal/automatic mode position. Pushing the key in opens the valve within the solenoid allowing fuel to pass thru it in order to prime and start the engine. Looking upon this solenoid as a electric choke results in a better understanding of it.

Having that red lever turned in the opposite direction, facing away from the solenoid, allows fuel to flow thru it to the crankcase area. One would only turn the red lever to this position in a case where the battery might go dead and the engine had to be started via the rope pull method. Look upon putting the red lever in this position as moving a choke lever on a choke equipped engine to the full closed position. Either one would supply fuel to the crankcase/engine for starting purposes BUT if left in that position while running would flood the engine.

The later model primer solenoids are equipped with a schrader valve, used for attaching a pressurized can of fogging oil etc, available at your local dealership with complete instructions.

Pumping the fuel primer bulb up hard fills the carburetor float chambers of course, but that process also applies fuel pressure to the primer solenoid.

The two small hoses leading from the primer solenoid branch off via tees to each fuel manifold section that would feed fuel to the individual cylinders.

Pushing the key in activates the primer solenoid to allow fuel to flow thru it to the intake manifold passageways. Cranking the engine over causes the fuel pump to engage which in turn sends fuel pulses to the primer solenoid via the 3/8" fuel hose.

Some engines incorporates the "Fast Start" feature which automatically advances the spark electronically so no advance of the throttle is required for starting.
Engines that do not have the "Fast Start" feature will be required to have the throttle advanced slightly.

Starting procedure: pump fuel bulb up hard, crank engine and push the key in at the same time. When the engine fires/starts, release the key so that it falls back to the run position.

Bottom line..... Look upon the primer solenoid as an electric choke.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

the red arrow shaped thing is on your primer the lever should point toward the bottom of the solenoid- that's the automatic position- when you move it to manual position in puts more fuel into the motor,if it drips fuel there are little O-rings in there ore the cap could have a crack. When you pump your ball that pressureizes the fual system, so when you push in on the ign key when starting it shoots a little fuel into the motor the help it start.

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It can be turned to either face the back of the boat or the front... I need it to face which way?

Mr. Reeves just wanted to let u know that in a prior post I used ur diagnostic to determine a bad regulator/rectifier being the fault to my tach and the black goo coming from the stator... Got those on the way to hopefully fix the tach

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The normal run position for the red lever is as 175e stated. The lever should be positioned so that is parallel to the length of the solenoid. Leave it in that position unless you are servicing the engine. (fogging it or injecting a can of Engine Tuner into the engine.)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

It can be turned to either face the back of the boat or the front... I need it to face which way?

(Copied & pasted from post #3)
(Fuel Primer Solenoid Function)
(J. Reeves)

The RED lever...... The normal operating/running position is to have that red lever positioned over top of the solenoid and aimed at the other end of the solenoid, gently turned to its stop.