Timer Base Repair ??? 135 evinrude

Phillabaum

Seaman Apprentice
Question:
Evinrude 135 bad timer base. Tested properly per the CDI instructions using DVA adaptor. SO. The question.

The timer base replacement is expensive. The timer base itself is in good condition. WHERE can I purchase JUST the Trigger coil pick ups. Or some my call the Pulse trigger pickups. I have taken the Base apart and it is not hard to install new ones. They have to be available.

rob 135

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Timer Base Repair ??? 135 evinrude

I was getting a weird spark problem last year , had spark with plugs out but none with them in . I thought timer base too, I adjusted each trigger in slightly got spark after that . Not sure if they are adjustable but it worked fine . Put a little epoxy back on the tiny screw heads when done.

Phillabaum

Seaman Apprentice

I was getting a weird spark problem last year , had spark with plugs out but none with them in . I thought timer base too, I adjusted each trigger in slightly got spark after that . Not sure if they are adjustable but it worked fine . Put a little epoxy back on the tiny screw heads when done.

Yea, Rob that is what the CDI instructions tell us. So I produced a tool to measure the gap with out the flywheel in place. It duplicates that portion of the flywheel only. Just slid it down the tapered shaft of the crank and measure the gap. (pretty cool) Gap was right on. The triggers were all the way out to the "stop" on the timer base. Just old I guess. Don't want to fork over 275 for the new part.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

OMC made a tool like that years ago.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the trigger coil pick ups are bad I think you'll end up buying a new timer base.

rob 135

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did it work for u? Mine are adjusted to end too. I checked and they are not rubbing and it has good spark . Are they supposed to be adjusted as they wear?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you got them adjusted to where they work, run it.

Phillabaum

Seaman Apprentice

Did it work for u? Mine are adjusted to end too. I checked and they are not rubbing and it has good spark . Are they supposed to be adjusted as they wear?

If its not broke don't fix it. I just don't have the spark required at all. And, would rather buy the pick up coils seperate and rebuild the timer base myself.
CDI Electronics instuctions says if you don't have spark you can move the pick ups in toward the flywheel put some machinist blue on the flywheel reinstall it without the key. Hand turn the flywheel if they rub then move them back .05".
The timer bases on the 135 have stops that do not let them get any closer to the flywheel. If I can't buy the pick ups then I have no choice but to buy the timer base. So far I have been able to prove that a boat is NOT a hole in the water to pour money into. Doing everything myself really saves. Now I want to save on the timer base. BUMMER.

57 7.5

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did you try Radio Shack or another electronics store?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Me thinks you'll end up buying a new timer base. JMO.

Phillabaum

Seaman Apprentice

Me thinks you'll end up buying a new timer base. JMO.

Yep, ordered one and fed x will deliver on Friday the 11th. I will install and update with the results. Dogwoods are in bloom in Alabama and it is time to drop a hook.
I may still try to rebuild the old one and either keep as spar or put up for sale. So if you can think of a source for the coil pick ups. let me know. I will look into Radio shack or other electronic sources thanks 57 7.5.