Waterpump/LU Replacement worries...Permatex

evinrudexp

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

On Sunday I replaced the waterpump on my 1988 EvinrudeXP 150. My Clymer manual calls for OMC adhesive to be used to glue the waterpump housing with the inner cup and to use on the mating surface of LU when installing back to the motor. Being that it was Sunday and I didnt have OMC Adhesive I did a quick search and found a tread stating that Permatex#1 was an alternative. I went ahead with the Permatex1 and now I have concerns that I shouldnt have. Permatex#1 is fast drying and hardening.

Question: Will this be an issue when dropping the LU in the future? Will the permatex that sqeezed inside the LU after mating back to the motor get in to the engine water pasages and possible cause a blockage/overheading?

What should I do at this point? I appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Waterpump/LU Replacement worries...Permatex

If you used a thin smear of sealant then no problems at all.---Some folks do think " more is better " and then there can be problems.

daselbee

Commander

How does Clymer even sell these manuals?

I never use any sealant on the mating surface of the LU to the midsection. Why would Clymer recommend that?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You should be OK in my opinion, however there was no need to use it in the first place.

evinrudexp

Seaman Apprentice

The clymer manual had been an ok guide but not the tell all I would expect from such a manual.

I realize I shouldn't have used anythink...now I'm considering if I should drop the Lu about an inch and see what I can clean out. I put about a 1/16 layer, enough to where it squeezed out on the outside and I had to wipe it clean.

My main concern is water passage blockage. are the water passages small enough to get clogged?