1991 Johnson Faststrike 150 Fuel Problems

califragh

Cadet
VRO alarm started to go off, I disconnected it ran premix but lost fuel delivery. boat would run fine as long as someone was in the back squeezing the fuel bulb. Rebuilt fuel pump new filter new hose new primer solenoid kit. Still same problem please help. on muffs mid throttle i feel fuel pump pulsing but for some reason it starves for fuel. going to rebuild the vapor pump next would that do it

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Johnson Faststrike 150 Fuel Problems

Sounds like the problem is in the fuel side of the VRO.

califragh

Cadet

Sounds like the problem is in the fuel side of the VRO.

I rebuilt the fuel side VRO. There was some black tarring on part of the main spring which I cleaned, would there be an obvious defect to look for.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

going to rebuild the vapor pump next would that do it
Nope..... sounds like air motor in pump is not working or check valve diaphram is swollen ( half dollar size disk) and not passing fuel.

Last edited:

califragh

Cadet

Nope..... sounds like air motor in pump is not working or check valve diaphram is swollen ( half dollar size disk) and not passing fuel.

I have replaced the membrane in the vapor pump. Same problem keeps running out of gas, I am at my wits end. there is nothing else to rebuild. It has to be something stupid. Please help. Again i can keep it running if i keep pressing the primer bulb. It will run a full throttle no problem

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You still got probs in the pump if you have to keep pumping the primer bulb.

califragh

Cadet

You still got probs in the pump if you have to keep pumping the primer bulb.

Well, To heck with it. i am going to put in an in line fuel pump. What PSI should i get.

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you're going to put in an electric one, that could be a fire hazard.

califragh

Cadet

If you're going to put in an electric one, that could be a fire hazard.

really hows that, just need a booster. the floats will stop flow. I may be an idiot thinking this way. Maybe use a 3-5 PSI. trying to go on the cheap to fix the problem. it is a 91 motor. Do not feel like sinking 350 for a new VRO Pump

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you had an accident and a fire started the pump could just keep on going if for some reason you couldn't shut the key off. But, that's JMO and your boat.

califragh

Cadet

If you had an accident and a fire started the pump could just keep on going if for some reason you couldn't shut the key off. But, that's JMO and your boat.

No thank you very much Guy, I value your opinion. I would not be here if i didn't. Thank you

I have a 96 175 faststrike. Fuel shoots out of the middle of the fuel pump when I pump the bulb. Will crank and run for 10 seconds and won't crank again for 30 minutes. After the 10 second run time there seems to be a lot of black liguid coming out of prop if i continuously try to crank it. What might this be and if primer bulb is tight should has be coming from middle of the fuel pump. Also vro has been disconnected for years and just running premix

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice
I watched a boat Burn on the water last week and had to go to there aid. dont know the cause for sure but likely electical. so Be Safe and use caution before radicly modifying somthing or adding anything to the electrical. I would agree that your VRO is still the cause. they can be diff to reassemble the first time. its likely that you didnt get it right. have a diagram it helps alot.

califragh

Cadet
A Follow up to my pump delima. I did use an in line pump. Have to be careful at idle can put to much pressure on the carbs. but at higher speeds it does the trick just fine. Used it in this matter for a while now. and boat flies across the water