1989 johnson 60 hp vro fuel pump question

David/Maine

Recruit
Hello folks, brand new here. I have a 1989 johnson 60 hp vro. last year I had the oil portion of the pump disconnected. we used the boat multiple times over the summer with not one issue. at the end of the summer, the last time I used it, we boated for about 3 hours then anchored up to have lunch and let the dogs swim. When I tried to re start the engine, it would not run. I got it to sputter a couple of times but no go. I tried everything I could think of, I changed plugs. no avail. I had to get towed in. once back to the house, I hooked the ears up and wham, fired right up and purred like a kitten. I ran it for about 5 minutes it never skipped a beat. I disconnected the fuel line and let it run out. cover er up and have not started it since. I am getting ready to get the cover off of the boat and get it ready for spring fishing. does this issue sound like a fuel pump issue or something different? my other question is, if it is a pump issue, can I replace the vro pump with a straight fuel pump? Thank you very much for your time in reading this and for any advice you may have!

David

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 johnson 60 hp vro fuel pump question

Welcome to the forum.
The way you described your problem it's going to hard to give any advice. It sounds like the engine ran properly on the hose, you might try it with the boat backed in the water to get some back pressure on the exhaust system and see what happens.
You can convert it to use a regular premix fuel pump, if you do a search you will find quite a few posts on how to do it.
You should not run a multi-carb engine out of fuel, you should drain the carbs after you are done fogging it. The reason is that not all the carbs will run out of fuel at the same time, causing a cylinder to be run without lubracation.

David/Maine

Recruit

Welcome to the forum.
The way you described your problem it's going to hard to give any advice. It sounds like the engine ran properly on the hose, you might try it with the boat backed in the water to get some back pressure on the exhaust system and see what happens.
You can convert it to use a regular premix fuel pump, if you do a search you will find quite a few posts on how to do it.
You should not run a multi-carb engine out of fuel, you should drain the carbs after you are done fogging it. The reason is that not all the carbs will run out of fuel at the same time, causing a cylinder to be run without lubracation.
Thank you for the advice I will be sure not to just run it out of fuel again.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Check the pump output by disconnecting the line on the exit side of the pump and attach a hose to a container. Crank the motor and watch for the following.
Strong regular spurts = Pump OK
Strong spurts tapering off to small spurts and a dribble = failing pump.
Dribble to nothing = Failed pump.

Motor will run for a considerable time on muffs and idling with a failing pump. Once under load though when the motor needs more fuel to the cylinders the pump will show it's weakness. Going to post a link shortly that may help you.
Good Luck.

jbened

Recruit
I have a 10985hp Johnson outboard. it will only give me 2000rpm. once I held the choke in and it ran great. now it won't do that. it will run full speed at 2000 rpm top. help!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 10985hp Johnson outboard. it will only give me 2000rpm. once I held the choke in and it ran great. now it won't do that. it will run full speed at 2000 rpm top. help!!

Please start a new topic. Your post is in an old topic and is not related to the subject. Thanks