Which manual do I need for this job 1968 evinrude 18 hp

james__12345

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1968 18hp evinrude that keeps breaking starters. It turns out that the flywheel is moving up and down, and from what I've read on some other posts that is most likely due to some bearings that need replaced in the motor. I have no idea what exactly needs to be done, so I'm planning to order a manual. The problem is, I see two different manuals listed here for sale, the seloc which covers 1958-1972 1.5-125 hp that actually says its a repair manual and then theres the factory manual specifically for my motor, but it only says that it has exploded views and part numbers and stuff. My concerns are that the factory manual wont actually cover HOW to do the work. I bought a more generic service manual for a motor i used to have, and it didnt go into enough detail on some things, and I'm concerned that might be an issue with the seloc. My question is which manual will best walk me through how to find the problem and fix it?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which manual do I need for this job 1968 evinrude 18 hp

Do not get a Seloc. Unless you need an oil catch! Good for general stuff, but too general for a complete powerhead overhaul.

Get an OEM Service Manual for what you plan to do.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

there is a couple oem service manuals for sale on ebay for your motor.

james__12345

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The other manual listed here is this one

1968 Evinrude Outboard Parts Catalog 279008 - Ken Cook Co.

But it only says

"Original Factory Manual For 1968 Evinrude 18 hp Outboards
Models: 18802, 18803

Parts manuals contain exploded views of all service/replacement parts, part numbers and descriptions."

It doesn't say whether its an owners manual or a service manual or what. The picture of the cover says "parts catalog" which makes me think it probably isn't what I need either.

james__12345

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks. I actually already have that page open after hardwater fisherman's post about ebay having the manual. I just try to buy from here when I can so I wanted to make sure. Thanks again for the help.