1983 115HP Johnson Will Not Tilt Down

Swampmouse2

Seaman
Hi Guys,
I have a 1983 115 HP Johnson that will not tilt down. I can manually let it down by unscrewing the little screw at the tilt motor, but can't quite seem to get it all the way down. Last time I checked it, I could still raise it up, but nothing down. As a result of not going all the way down, I can't get it up on plane.

My shift lever is cracked and I that maybe one of the contact pieces in the power trim button may have come out, but it also will not go down with the toggle switch in the front of the boat.

Do I got trash in my hydrolic lines? If memory serves, it takes a special spanner socket to remove the cap on the hydrolic cylinder????

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
SM

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1983 115HP Johnson Will Not Tilt Down

swampmouse2 does the trim motor run when you push the button?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That engine uses two relays to run the trim motor. One for up, one for down. You can do a test. Swap the relays in the trim control box and see what happens. If it fixes the problem, get two new relays and keep the one old good one as a spare.

I had the same problem.....replaced both relays and topped off the fluid....very simple fix.....in my case......best of luck to you!

dazk14

Ensign

As the fellas have said...Electrical. Stay away from the hydraulics. You can check fluid, after you get the electrical straightened out.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Does the motor run at all when you're trying to put it down ??

Swampmouse2

Seaman

Thanks for the great info guys! I am not sure if the motor runs or not. I will try to get the battery charged up and see...gotta go out of town tomorrow morning for a few days, but I will definitely check into it and report back.

Thanks very much to all!

SM

Swampmouse2

Seaman
I am embarrassed to say that it has taken me 3 months to finally getting around to take a look at this (turkey season and a friends boat got in the way). But I am happy to report that just as emdsapmgr said, it was the relay! What an easy fix. Its a shame I let my boat sit for almost 2 years because I never got around to it! Thanks again for your help guys!!!

SM