1986 4hp evinrude. Screw on top of cowling. How does it go back in.

kachingz

Cadet
Probably broke the cardinal rule and removed the screw on top center of the cowling. It seems to have something to do with the pull start. Anyone got a fix for this?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 4hp evinrude. Screw on top of cowling. How does it go back in.

There should be 4 screws on the bottom of the cowling to remove it. Go to shop.evinrude.com, look up your motor and you'll find a parts break down of it. I can't type long enough to tell you how to put it back together.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Model NUmber ?

kachingz

Cadet

Model NUmber ?

model #E4BRHCDE Now I have the cowling off and rewind in pieces. Need to know how it goes back together. Spring came out. Is there anywhere that shows how it goes back together?

kachingz

Cadet

Any tricks I need to know? Looks like you wind the spring so the cord is wrapped all the way up, replace the screw, 4 screws to hold the cowling, replace bottom half and knobs, tighten everything up and done. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Any tricks I need to know? Looks like you wind the spring so the cord is wrapped all the way up, replace the screw, 4 screws to hold the cowling, replace bottom half and knobs, tighten everything up and done. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I am sure I have seen instructions on here. Maybe Joe has some. If not try Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

Other wise work out how to do it... it's not rocket science .... you'll have to get the amount to wind up the spring correct by trial and error so that it will rewind the starter cord but does not go over tight and break when pulling the cord out to its full extent when starting

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

On the outside.... The screw and lockwasher.

On the inside.... Spring goes in first, then the pulley, then the spindle. The pawl and springs should be self explanatory. The spindle usually has a locking pin and if so, make sure it's inserted properly. A hand held impact screwdriver is a good tool to make sure that locking screw is tightened securely. A drop or two of Loc-Tite on the threads would be a good idea also.

With the unit assembled and on the bench upside down, hand crank the pulley/spring counterclockwise, insert the pull cord and handle, then let the spring retract the cord... that's it.

kachingz

Cadet

On the inside.... Spring goes in first, then the pulley, then the spindle. The pawl and springs should be self explanatory. The spindle usually has a locking pin and if so, make sure it's inserted properly. A hand held impact screwdriver is a good tool to make sure that locking screw is tightened securely. A drop or two of Loc-Tite on the threads would be a good idea also.

With the unit assembled and on the bench upside down, hand crank the pulley/spring counterclockwise, insert the pull cord and handle, then let the spring retract the cord... that's it.

Thanks gentlemen. I will check out te library for backup and get to it today. I'll let you know how I make out and if there are any things I find out that can help the next guy.
You've been extremely helpful and I thank you both for that. Excellent forum.

kachingz

Cadet

Thanks for the reference link and it did have info on the hand start that I have, excellent resource. I spent some hours messing with the spring and before I end up costing myself more money and angst I will give it to someone who does that for a living. Tried every trick I could think of and am willing to pay the price to have it done.