Shear Pin 1967 Evinrude Lightwin model 3706

outboardsusa

Seaman
I was just wanting to take my prop off and see how to change the drive pin (they call it) to see how to change it before I find out the hard way out on the water, I got the prop nut off and the cotter pin, and the vintage nut then the large washer and the prop seems stuck, I don't see anymore parts listed, is the next step to tap it gently with a rubber hammer? (which I have) Thank you....

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shear Pin 1967 Evinrude Lightwin model 3706

Yeah, might be stuck.

Light coat of grease before re installing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Must have some unusual corrosion. It should slide right off. Is it a salt water motor? The rubber clutch ring can't do it's job correctly if it is locked in there by corrosion.

outboardsusa

Seaman

Thank you for replying motor came from Northern Wisconsin never in salt water, I just grabbed the prop last night and pulled and you won't believe it or maybe you will, the shaft was full of what I thought was seaweed and then copper wire it was red was all under the prop I couldn't see the shear pin for it then after pulling on it I realized it was fishing line, being red it threw me off, no telling how long it's been in there good thing I pulled the prop off, having had two Evinrude 18's I knew how to do this just slightly different parts thank you

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Good proof to constantly pull off your prop, clean up used fishing line, and grease the shaft. The fishing line eats away at the seal. Wish every fishing boat had a garbage bag on it!

outboardsusa

Seaman

Good proof to constantly pull off your prop, clean up used fishing line, and grease the shaft. The fishing line eats away at the seal. Wish every fishing boat had a garbage bag on it!

Thank you yes I will remember that, pulled off the prop on my Johnson 5.5 no line thank God, and it doesn't have shear pin

outboardsusa

Seaman

Bad enough to find several feet of fishing line spooled around there but the leader too? That was an insult

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That's what you find in Northern WI. I'm from there.:laugh:

outboardsusa

Seaman

That's what you find in Northern WI. I'm from there.:laugh:

Hey it's beautiful there and a great place to buy outboards because they were well taken care of, fishing line on a motor could happen anywhere