1965 evinrude fastwin shifting problem after complete motor overhaul

tmorgan

Cadet
Hi
I have just completed a complete restoration of a 18hp fastwin and seem to have created a problem that wasn't there before I did this.
I have removed the powerhead , replaced the water pump re-assembled all components and it seems that the shifting has an issue. I can engage foward gear easily but when I try pushing the arm to reverse it doesn't quite engage with the lever's bottom position.
I would appreciate any info as I don't wish to pull the powerhead if it is not necessary.
Thanks
Terry

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1965 evinrude fastwin shifting problem after complete motor overhaul

Are you doing this with the motor running? If not, try spinning the propeller back and forth a bit to realign the shift dog... DO NOT turn the motor over with the propeller!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Also, are you certain that the detent in shift rod aligned with hole in coupler?

tmorgan

Cadet

I just tried moving the prop and noticed a audible ticking sound. The detent and coupler seem fine and maybe I created this problem when I changed water pump.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Not quite fully engaging or disengaging.

You cannot tell by just looking at them if they are ok. Minute amounts out will cause the issues you are describing. Everything just needs tuning. Start by ensuring the detent and hole are PERFECTLY lined up before installing the bolt. Then go through the gears and test each one.

tmorgan

Cadet

Thanks for info

I will recheck the lower shift arm connection again. If I disconnect coupler the shift lock should allow foward and reverse movement with the gearshift handle?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you remove the 3'8" hex bolt from the brass shift connector, moving the shift lever will simply pull the rod out of the brass coupler... think about it.

Do as the other members state.... remove the bolts (one at a time) from the brass shift connector, make sure that the groove in the rod is perfectly aligned with the hole in the brass connector, then insert and tighten the bolt. It appears from what you've said that you have misaligned at least one of the bolts which would result in a shifting problem.

tmorgan

Cadet

Hi everyone

I just tweaked the detent in the coupler and it seems to be good now.
Thanks for your help
Terry