1973 Johnson ignition help please!

If anyone could help I would be so thankful!
I am restoring a boat with a 1973 Johnson 115hp starflite.
I took apart the remote control to re grease it and my ignition switch fell apart.
I bought two different sierra ignitions and neither will work and this is why.
My boat manual says the start position needs to hit the B S and A terminals.
Both and all the aftermarket ignitions I can find only hit the B and S terminal when starting.
The new ones use the A as an accessory terminal but my motor uses A to go the the rectifier and a few other things.
My motor will not start with the new ignitions.
What ignition do I need or can I make one of these aftermarket ones work?
Thank you so much!

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Johnson ignition help please!

I don't know about the after market ones, but if the control is correct it should be #306559,if im wrong im sure there will be corrections following.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

A word of caution here.----The ignition switch needs to have 2 terminals marked " M " for the spark function.-----12 volts is not needed here to produce the spark for the sparkplugs.--That function is done by the magneto under the flywheel.----Expensive parts are easily damaged if you are guessing here.

I don't know about the after market ones, but if the control is correct it should be #306559,if im wrong im sure there will be corrections following.

All I can find for 306559 is a screw for the ignition... Am I missing something? Thank you for your help!

A word of caution here.----The ignition switch needs to have 2 terminals marked " M " for the spark function.-----12 volts is not needed here to produce the spark for the sparkplugs.--That function is done by the magneto under the flywheel.----Expensive parts are easily damaged if you are guessing here.

Yes, it has the two M spots. I switched the wires directly over to new ignition except the A terminal I thought the I terminal was the same. Could it be that I have the two M spots switch up? Would that make a difference? Thank you for your help!

not sure if this will help, or add confusion.......http://maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/V4_1973.jpg

Yeah this is what I'm talking about. The start position on this diagram hits three spots. That purple wire that goes to the terminal block was on the A terminal on my old ignition. The old ignition would touch A when in the start position. Now, it does not touch when started. I'm thinking the motor wont start because it does not get power to that terminal block. The motor does turn over thought.
Should I put the purple wire on another terminal of my ignition?

Thank you for the help!

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

DUH!!!! should get my eyes chkd. #385483 sup to 386947.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

also go to your 2:30 post

Ok, so a little update, I went out this morning and I looked everything over. I am getting fuel into the fuel pump. The motor does turn over when I put the ignition in start. I tried to eliminate any troubles and I jumped the neutral safety switch with a wire just to make sure that was not the problem. Before I attempted to start it today, I sprayed starter fluid directly into the cylinder. It would not even try to start. I am thinking there is not spark because the ignition does not hit that A terminal. Does anyone know the right ignition that will hit that A? I have tried both Sierra MP41000 and MP41010.
Thank you so much!

Ok, I found the 386947 on ebay for $40. Are you sure this is the correct switch? This will be the third one I buy and I am in almost $100 now. Just want to make sure this is the right one.
Thank you for your help!

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Caution here.----The ignition on your motor does not use 12 volts to produce spark at the sparkplugs.--Hooking up wires in a " trial and error way " can get expensive.--Do not hook any wires to " a " in the hope of getting spark !!!

Ok, I contacted the seller of the one on ebay and he confirmed this ignition hit B A S all on start.

I also contacted my local marina and they said they had one for $30. Then I started talking to them and he finally looked it up and was surprised to see that this year and model ,starflight, had a specific switch. He said he has only seen that a few times and was very surprised. He also confirmed 386947 was the part number for this motor. He wanted almost $90 for it though.

I am not sure where you got that number but you are a God send! I would be so confused about this still. I really think this will fix the problem.

Now I just need to wait two weeks because its coming from Canada:facepalm: Oh well Ill have to just watch fishing for the next few weeks now. :mad:

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

As said, the "A" terminal DOES NOT go to the ignition system. To do so will blow the power pack. The ignition system generates its own power.