Evinrude 25hp Water Not Pumping/ Not idling

Hello All,

I have a 25hp Evinrude that I have posted about before on this forum, but a new problem has come up. There is no water pumping from the telltale.

Some notes: I was using ear muffs to supply water to the engine, and it may not have been enough water.
I have dropped the lower end, and the water pump and gaskets are fine.
The engine isn't running perfectly, but it was running at a high enough RPM and for a long enough time for water to get out of the tell tale. Since im still working on the motor running and idling, I can't really test it just quite yet. I'll have time for that this weekend.

Should I try putting the lower end in a trough of clean water and try it from there? I feel like there wasn't enough water pressure, but not sure. Could not enough water be the problem?

All of the connections are good in the shaft, so I can say its not that.

Any suggestions?

Also, what could be the problem with the engine not idling? I have having problems getting it to keep running, but I have broken down the carb, cleaned and adjusted it. Ask any clarifying questions if you have them! Thanks so much!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Evinrude 25hp Water Not Pumping/ Not idling

Use a trash can for a water supply. Deep trash can with enough water to be above the intake by at least 6". It should pump in under 20 seconds if not turn it off.

Run a piece of weed eater plastic line up the tel tale tube and make sure it is clear.

You might have an internal blockage too:(

You might have to take apart the carb again and rechcek the float and valve.

How is the fuel pump??

Last edited:

ugafan83

Cadet

My Johnson 30 pumps water fine with the ear muffs on. But saying that when I first got it there was no water cause the tell tail was clogged.

My 25 does the same thing every so often, I run fishing leader up the tube and it clears it out.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

main question would be whether it's cooling OK. To test pumping system, need to dunk the l.u. deep in a barrel well above the intake, as indicated above. Put the water half way up the shaft (I use a big plastic trash barrel). Look to see if there is water coming out of the relief/exhaust ports on the shaft. Run it in neutral at idle for a bit (if water present), and check temp with the side of your hand on the top of the head. If you can keep your hand there for a few seconds, temp is OK. If in doubt, of course, shut it down.

If operation of the tell tale is a remaining issue, try clearing it as described above. Other option: backflush through the opening for the t.stat, if motor has one, or remove lower unit and flush from the bottom, forcing water up through the water tube. If running at temp and no other indication of problems, may find that running clears the tell tale. You can always remove the head cover and check passages, but I would be inclined to use it if the only issue was operation of the tell tale. Your call, of course.