85 johnson 50 hp won't stay running

cuev

Cadet
I've been working on an 85 Johnson 50 hp outboard on a boat given to me. the boat had been sitting for at least 10 years in a garage. so far i have changed the spark plugs, starter solenoid, got a new starting battery, ditched the vro for a regular fuel pump, and cleaned the carbs twice and used rebuild kits.

It is hard to start. I hear the click if i push in the key, and that seems to be working. It starts easier when i hold the throttle on the carbs wide open. But it will eventually peters out, and it cuts of if i bring it back to idle. I have cleaned the small idle jet and don't know what else to do.

What would cause this? Also is it possible to work the throttle on this remote control without putting it in gear? There is a lever on the side but when it's up, the key does nothing and the throttle cannot move.

cuev

Cadet
Re: 85 johnson 50 hp won't stay running

I also replaced the gas tank, fuel line and bulb. It has new mixed gas & oil.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

When you had the carbs apart did you clean the orifices behind the 7/16 drain screws in the float bowels?
Are you sure you are getting fuel through the small fuel lines from the choke to the carbs when you energize the choke solenoid?
Do you have the red lever on the side of the choke solenoid in the auto position, back over the solenoid body?

cuev

Cadet

The orifice behind the 7/16 drain screw is the main jet correct? I did clean that as best i could. I could not unscrew it without the brass starting to deform, so I did all I could with out taking it out.
From what I can tell, i am getting gas through all lines. The red lever on the choke solenoid is pointed towards the front of the boat. Not sure if that is the correct position, but I can hear it click when I push in the key. And it does seem to aid in cranking.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

What are the compression test results ?

cuev

Cadet

no idea how to do a compression test.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

If it is a factory control the motor should crank over with the fast idle lever fully up.-----A compression tester is about $40 and usually comes with instructions,--It is the first recommended test to do.

cuev

Cadet

What is a fast idle lever? I have a lever on the control box to the right of the throttle. When it is up, the throttle cannot be moved and the key will not work.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

You may need to open the control box as it seems something is wrong in there.-----The motor should crank when that lever to the right is fully raised.---It opens the throttle for start-up and warm-up.---Have an assistant operate the control while you see what it does at the motor !

Last edited:

cuev

Cadet

Alright thanks, I'll look into that.

cuev

Cadet

Well the lever works. I was just trying to work the throttle after lifting the lever to the start position. I didn't know that lever actually engaged the throttle.
But it still won't stay running. I'm convinced it is a fuel problem since I had a similar issue with a motorcycle. I am going to soak the carbs instead of using spray cleaner and change some fuel lines.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

The orifice behind the 7/16 drain screw is the main jet correct? I did clean that as best i could. I could not unscrew it without the brass starting to deform, so I did all I could with out taking it out.
From what I can tell, i am getting gas through all lines. The red lever on the choke solenoid is pointed towards the front of the boat. Not sure if that is the correct position, but I can hear it click when I push in the key. And it does seem to aid in cranking.

No that should be pointed towards the main body of the solenoid, not forward

cuev

Cadet

Pointing toward the main body of the solenoid and towards the boat are the same thing on this.

What and where is the timing base?

This is my first boat and first time working on an outboard.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

its the ring thing that swivels under the flywheel, thats connected to the throttle.
The throttle will open the carburettor butterflys and also turn the timing base ring which advances the timing, that gives more power then just adding gas, my motor actually advances timing a lot sooner than it opens the butterflys when accerelerating

cuev

Cadet

timing base was fine. i changed all the fuel lines and soaked the carbs. changed a fuse that kept blowing. still wouldn't start right or stay running. cleaned up the spark plugs a bit and added some seafoam. started right up and idled fine.