1950 QD-11 oil leaking from weeping hole?

fud123

Recruit
hey guys i got 1950 QD-11 bought it from a guy for cheap and it ran great in the tank i got it home and on a stand it noticed it was leaking oil out of what looks like a weeping hole just below and to the right of the impeller (or right above gear oil fill hole)johnson_10hp.jpg

prayingmantis

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1950 QD-11 oil leaking from weeping hole?

I believe it is a drain for the unburnt gas and oil. I had the same problem with the 1961 18 HP johnson I had.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

If that is on the joint between the leg and the gear case it is almost certainly unburnt oil from the fuel. I guess you are using a pretty oily fuel mix, 24:1, 16:1, 12:1 ??? so potentially quite a bit of oil about. If its black and has a bunt smell then thats what it is. If it smells like rotting cabbages then it might be gear oil. You will check the gear oil for signs of water ingress presumably.

See this item on the Engine FAQs board

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...leaking-around-lower-unit-iwombat-207285.html

fud123

Recruit

its a honey color smells like gear oil cant mistake that smell it has to holes on each side leak pretty good the engine hasnt been ran in 3 weeks since i bought it guy had it laying down could that do it and it oil running back down ?johnson_10hp.jpg

fud123

Recruit

going to drain gear oil tomorrow asap and let u know how it looks if there is water getting in what would i be replacing and and idea where i would order seals from? would this be a impeller issue?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Not am impeller issue, but if you do open it up, would be a good time to do an impeller if you are unsure of when it was last done.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

its a honey color smells like gear oil cant mistake that smell it has to holes on each side leak pretty good the engine hasnt been ran in 3 weeks since i bought it guy had it laying down could that do it and it oil running back down ?

Ok if it is definitely gear oil then you have to be looking at the drive shaft seal below the water pump. Maybe the O ring seal on the shift rod

fud123

Recruit

Any idea where to order some parts for these motors found a impeller no other seals tho

fud123

Recruit

so i ordered the impeller today looks like the shaft seals are f### ed so going to have to replace any one recommend where to find these seals for QD-11 1950 10hp cant find any if anyone knows where to find some or something else that works to replace thanks a bunches