1985 2 hp johnson water pump question????

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
I'm finally assembling my 85 Johnson 2 hp. The waterpump has a plastic spacer beneath it. It has two large 'prongs' on one side and two small (close together) on the other side. I looked at the diagram for assembly but when I go to put it together it seems like the spacer would sit unevenly or they should fit into some kind of gap as there are only prongs on one side. Am I reading too much into this? thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 2 hp johnson water pump question????

Could you post a pic of it ??

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1985 2 hp johnson water pump question????

Thanks boobie: I solved my own problem. The two small prongs on the one side of the spacer go into a hole (water flow?) and this allows the spacer to sit flat. I should have figured that out before posting. Anyway, I'm about to attach the lower unit and give her a run. I replaced the rings (zero compression due to being frozen into place), honed the cylinder, new head gasket, water pump impeller, carburetor needle grommet replacement and complete cleaning, new coil and condenser. I'll post how she runs. This motor has been more work than I bargained for. I believe she was submerged in salt water and not gone over afterwards. Salt residue on the mag plate areas, in the carburetor, and inside the crankcase. Not much but enough to be observed. There is very little wear indicating she was not used very much and no significant corrosion. The only reasons I decided to see it through. I'll post how she runs. thanks again for the help offer.