35hp 1999 johnson water pump change

canebreak

Recruit
Hi, I'm the new guy, Been boating, fishing, diving, Fla., Bahamas, Cuba etc. since about 1947

I have a problem with my 1999 35hp Johnson, last time I ran it I had good water coming from the weep hole, today no water. I took the thermostat out put the cap back on started it up and still no water, So the problem must be either the impeller or the tube in the lower housing is broken or came off ( I'm guessing )

How do I remove the lower unit, does the gear shift have to be in F,N, or R ?
Where is the shifter dis-connect ?
Any thing special I need to know

I've changed many water pumps but never on this engine. I need all the help I can get.

JAY

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 35hp 1999 johnson water pump change

Take the water pick up screens off and the disconnect is there. Take that apart and that will separate the linkage. There's a little black keeper on the rod. Expand that and also remove it.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Did you try to run it with the thermostat cover off and try to backflush it thru the thermo hole? Also, did you run a weedeater line up the weep hole to see if an insect had stopped it up?

canebreak

Recruit

Did you try to run it with the thermostat cover off and try to backflush it thru the thermo hole? Also, did you run a weedeater line up the weep hole to see if an insect had stopped it up?

I did run it with the cover off, ran compressed air thru, came out strong thru the weep hole. Didn't back flush , any other sugestions ?

JAY