1994 25HP Johnson carb issues - correct tuning adjustment?

muddfildvaynes

Recruit
I had bought this boat that has the 1994 25HP Johnson last year and when I bought it the previous owner had the carb rebuilt and it ran beautifully. I stored it over winter here in Texas and when I went to start it with fresh gas it didn't want to fire. I pulled the carb off and cleaned it with some carb cleaner and made sure the gaskets were still good, bought a new gas line with the "bubble" and new spark plugs. I put everything back together and it would start with full choke but it won't hold an idle, bogged down when I gave it gas; and died if I took the choke off... It looks like there is only 1 adjustment screw on the carb that I can find/see and I found out that my brother in law messed with the adjustment screw when I ran to the gas station for fresh gas, so now I am trying to find out how to tune the carb back to stock and get it running.... The local Marina wants to charge me $110 just to tune my carb! Can anyone help me out?

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Re: 1994 25HP Johnson carb issues - correct tuning adjustment?

Dial it in until it just gently seats and then turn it back out 1.25 turns. In water, fire up the motor and let it warm up at a slow idle. Now turn it clockwise 1/8 of a turn and give the motor 10 seconds to respond. If the idle increases, slow it back down. Keep doing this, 1/8 of a turn at a time, until the motor sneezes and wants to die or does die. Turn the needle counter-clockwise 1/4 turn and never touch it again.

Last edited: