1967 100HP Johnson Exhaust/Autochoke Question

exodave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a V4TL-13 model. I notice on the back of the engine coming out of the rear cover are two fittings, as seen in the photo of the motor mid-disassembly.

13175497715_6471801eb0_c.jpg

When assembled, the top one goes to the autochoke on the carb. The bottom one wasn't connected to anything when I purchased the motor. The two are directly connected underneath via a flat tube suspended inside the void where exhaust from all cylinders meet. I just want to know if there is supposed to be something connected to the bottom fitting. I don't notice anything missing on the engine parts diagrams, and as far as I can tell the autochoke works OK. Is there a vacuum in the autochoke, pulling air in that way? If so, is it OK that it's pulling right from the back of the motor inside the cover?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1967 100HP Johnson Exhaust/Autochoke Question

No-- Nothing connects to the bottom fitting !--It works thusly.---The carburetor sucks air into the bottom fitting.--The air goes through the wee heat exhanger there.--As motor warms then hot air starts going to the carburetor.--The carburetor choke mechanism has a bimetallic element in it.--The hot air regulates spring tension on the choke flappers.---You can adjust that tension as well up top on the carburetor.--It also has a manual overide solenoid too.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

An often asked question. People see those threads in the open fitting and figure surely something goes in there. Nope!

exodave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! This thing is just full of tricks. I see now that the threads are just what holds the heat exchange to the inside of the back cover, not a vacant fitting.