Evinrude Lark 2 kill switch?

boxchevyman

Seaman
Hello im new to working on old outboards but possess some mechanical know how. I have the Clymer manual for my motor and it has been very helpful. I also have checked out the TOP SECRET files. But I need some advice on how to wire up my ignition kill switch on my 1960 Evinrude lark 2. The factory Key switch is busted (key is tore off in slot) so I was thinking about wiring up a push button start and toggle switch kill switch? So does this circuit apply voltage to the vacuum kill switch or does this just complete the ground?

So in other words do I just take the wire that goes to the vacuum switch to one end of the toggle kill switch and then the other end goes to the ground? Or am I reading the wiring diagram wrong?

Thanks a bunch.
James

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude Lark 2 kill switch?

If I remember correctly, the cutout switch only kills one cylinder. You need to connect both black wires coming from under the mag plate to a ground to kill both cylinders. You can run both black wires to one side of the toggle switch and a ground wire to the other side of the switch so that when you flip the switch it grounds both sets of points. If you use a push button switch to kill the engine, just connect one black wire to each side of the switch when you push the switch it grounds both sets of points together and kills the engine.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

been a couple of recent threads that would be relevant, and you could do a search for more. The one from a few days ago, or so, dealt with a '58 Johnson, i think, and had a good clear wiring diagram among the responses (for the model considered in that thread).

You could convert to buttons (also probably want something for the elec choke too on your motor) -- Daviet hits the basics, above, re gounding out the magneto. Vacuum switch/safety switch cuts spark to the bottom cylinder when quickly backing off the throttle, though, and can avoid a runaway engine situation. Best to keep it in the mix finally, as you imply in your idea for a kill switch. You could have wire issues darn near anywhere in an old harness, of course, along with the keyswitch problem. And, you COULD wire a starter button, choke and kill buttons/switches entirely separate from the existing wire harness, if you were ambitious and a little bold, maybe. Sort of depends on the condition of the rest of the wiring. But think fixing or replacing key switch definitely sounds like the most straightforward way to go.

(edit: should post a model number)

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If I remember correctly, the cutout switch only kills one cylinder. You need to connect both black wires coming from under the mag plate to a ground to kill both cylinders. You can run both black wires to one side of the toggle switch and a ground wire to the other side of the switch so that when you flip the switch it grounds both sets of points. If you use a push button switch to kill the engine, just connect one black wire to each side of the switch when you push the switch it grounds both sets of points together and kills the engine.

I assume daviet is thinking you are going to be using a DPST toggle switch. If you connect both black wires to one side of a SPST toggle switch, you won't have to worry about stopping it because it won't run.

boxchevyman

Seaman

Hey thanks for the information that is exactly what i was looking for. I really only need two switches as this has a hot water choke. And i don't see any wire going to the choke.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

sounds like you might be able to use a couple of buttons then, if you wanted, starter button and one for a kill switch -- would look like a period setup (slightly older setup). That hot water choke is an interesting operation. I had one on an early '60s Lark, and thought it was pretty effective -- don't know if they had issues. Working t.stat was important to operation, as I recall.