1978 johnson 115 water pump change.

Engine model 115ml78c. Water pump is not pumping after sitting for about 2 years. Can anyone start me off on the replacement process? I'm assuming I have to drop the lower unit. Any specific things I have to look out for or tricks to make it easier?

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 johnson 115 water pump change.

svc manual is important, disc. shift rod, 6 bolts,its down. goes back up in reverse order, grease top drive shaft splines(just splines not very top) engine turns clockwise, make sure water tube goes into pump. Just courious did you stick a piece of wire or something similar up the p hole, critters build things up there, but changing it is a good idea anyway, it darn sure wont hurt.

Yeah I took it off completely. Even took of hoses running into cylinders and out. No luck, time to change pump.

Finally had time to work on it. Ended up replacing the thermostat which was so corroded it came out in pieces. Water pump was full of rubber and gasket sealer from the last owners hack job. The drive shaft bearing was pitted and eaten away a good quarter inch. All new parts and going good now.