starter solenoid for 1958 35 bigtwin

lymanboat15

Seaman Apprentice
My motor has a electric start system added it was original manual start.The starter workes fine. can I use a solenoid from what years evinrude. I will just use a key start switch on the dash .

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: starter solenoid for 1958 35 bigtwin

Yes, you will need to research the type of mounting the solenoid has, does it mount on the engine or is it in an electrical box mounted somewhere in the boat/

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Doesn't matter really, just use a 12 volt marine solenoid. As long as it mounts where you want, no issues. Do you have a solenoid box?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

One thing to remember, don't use an automotive solenoid.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Some of the newer solenoids on Mercury , Yamaha, Suzuki are very compact and work just fine on a 58 OMC.

lymanboat15

Seaman Apprentice

Iwas just going to mount the solenoid on the engine

lymanboat15

Seaman Apprentice

Well I have the solenoid .On my engine thre are two heavy wires coming from the engine one comes from the starter moter the other is a ground connected to the powerhead. they are about 3 ft long Iwant to put the solenoid on the engine.I need a little help or a wiring diagram will I still use the stop switch on the front of the engine. I will use a key switch to start the engine.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Simple answer, the black cable goes to battery ground.
The red cable goes from the battery positive post to one of the large posts on the solenoid.
Another red cable goes from the other large post on the solenoid to the post on the starter.
One of the small posts on the solenoid goes to ground.
The other small post on the solenoid goes to the starter switch.
This type of wiring does not include any type of safety switch or neutral start switch in the system.
Below is a schematic that should show the original wiring for your engine, you can see how the engine was wired from the factory.
Please not that if you wire the engine as noted above, it WILL start in gear at any throttle setting.
http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/1957-60_35-40.jpg

lymanboat15

Seaman Apprentice

I wired the moter per your advise and nothing happened .I have a three position switch ing bat sol I tried all three positions.Checked the solenoid that was ok maybe i'am missing a ground .when you say the black cable goes to ground my black gable is grounded to the motor and I connected that cable to the neg batery terminal.I'AM sure it is something simple that i'am missing

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Yes, the black cable goes from the negative battery terminal to the engine block, make sure the connection at the block is really clean and tight. Use a volt meter or test light and check for battery voltage to the solenoid.
Does the solenoid click when you try to engage the starter, check to see that you have battery voltage to the small post on the solenoid when you try and start the engine.
You can use a pair of jumper cables directly to the starter to make sure the starter itself works.
Make sure all of the battery cable connections are clean and tight.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

You had another thread that incidentally touched on wiring -- had a couple of pics of the cut off switch. You have red and black wires to the vacuum switch and I'm thinking maybe you have it miswired -- switch should be all on the negative side from one of the magneto wires (-), and that part of your wiring system might be part of the current problem. Think I would retrace all my wiring if it was jiggered to convert a manual start to electric (which I've done too). I didn't see anything on whether the solenoid was bad, but maybe you are just in process of adding one to your wiring system(??) If starting from a manual model, the vacuum switch would just stay in place (hopefully OK to begin with). From there, you add some simple circuitry to fire the starter. Probably the simplest approach is to simply choke the engine to stop, so all you would really need is a momentary switch on the positive side of the starter circuit. (Solenoids aren't usually a problem, although it doesn't hurt to have a new one.) Check out that wiring again, particularly that vacuum switch.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ensure the mercury switch is perfectly horizontal, may be off a little. Play with the throttle while attempting to crank so you can see where she needs to be to make a ground.

lymanboat15

Seaman Apprentice

sol1.jpg100_3411.jpg The mercury switch was a little out of adjustment. Tested the solenoid it was good it is from a mercury newer model. mercury switch is also new. The one red wire on the cutout switch goes to the magneto under flywheel the other red wire goes to the kill switch on the front and from there up to the magneto. I will check all the grounds and clean all the connections today and give it a try.

Attachments

• sol2.jpg
    sol2.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0