1986 Johnson 6hp Primer System

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1986 Johnson 6hp and when you operate the primer plunger once or twice it will start but will die at idle if you push the knob all the way in. I've tried leaving the knob out to where you can see the red line on the knob shaft and it will idle but extremely rich. Any ideas??

hooterville

Seaman
Re: 1986 Johnson 6hp Primer System

The primer on the 1986 evinrude I had had issues as well. If you take it apart there are 4 to 5 small o-rings that can flatspot and go bad. If you haven't replaced them you may want to do so. Once it got mine running I had to pushed the primer back in I pulled it back out a little to keep it idling.
If the primer had never been rebuilt I bet the o rings.

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The line from the primer to the manifold has a hairline crack. Would it cause symptoms like it's having

hooterville

Seaman

Yes ......would cause those problems. Replace all questionable fuel lines. There is a lot of plastic pieces in the carb that could have cracks also. That could cause issues. I had to replace my carb bowl due to it being cracked and leaking. The upper carb cover that held the idle screw had a crack that i suspected caused some problems too. I thought about replacing it but couldn't find one when I was ordering parts last summer. I sold it due to it being too hard too reach on my pontoon with a electric start engine. These are great little engines but it's nearly 30 yrs old that plastic junk don't hold up well.
The problems your having is what I had.

Last edited:

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced the lines for the primer and no change. I dismantled the carburetor and found that the flex tube inside the float chamber had deteriorated and was in pieces in the bottom of the float bowl. After replacing that line and cleaning all the jets the motor fired up and runs like new

hooterville

Seaman

I replaced the lines for the primer and no change. I dismantled the carburetor and found that the flex tube inside the float chamber had deteriorated and was in pieces in the bottom of the float bowl. After replacing that line and cleaning all the jets the motor fired up and runs like new
Sweet! I had my carb off and apart 3 or 4 times as well as other things before i got the bugs worked out.

edco49

Recruit
i replaced the hard plastic o-ring inside the primer assembly with rubber o-ring with the same ID diamiterteras the factory one and it stoppet the gas from squirting out of the small holes where the retainer clip is.these rubber rings are very cheap.i got mine atl lowe's .problem solved. . let me add this was for a 1986 6hp johnson. model j6rcde

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.