what year lower unit will fit my johnson 35 model j35elcnd

bowfisher1648

Recruit
Hey I'm new to this forum and boating in general. I recently purchased a boat and the lower unit ended up being shot eather the clutch dog or something is bad in there , the motor jumps forward on the transom every 4-5 seconds when it's under a load ,, is an 81-82 johnson 35 horse the model number is j35elcnd .. any info on what other year lower units and parts will fit mine would be greatly appreciated

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what year lower unit will fit my johnson 35 model j35elcnd

model says its a 1982, my parts prog. says 1982-1983. is it making any noise. is it really jumping or is it surging?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I believe it's the 1980 - 1983 units were the same. In 1980 they changed the water pickup, pump and shift linkage. 1984 they changed driveshafts.

bowfisher1648

Recruit

model says its a 1982, my parts prog. says 1982-1983. is it making any noise. is it really jumping or is it surging?

It jumps up every 4-5 seconds like its hitting a log ,, read on here that you supposed to pull off the shift cable from the side of the motor and hold it in gear with your hand to see if it still pops and jumps up on the transom and let's you know the linkage is outta wack or something in the lower unit ,, unfortunately my lower is shot :( Will a lower have to be from a 80-83 35 horse, or would one work off a 40 horse in the same years, or any pre 80s lowers work

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the Clutch dog is worn and slipping(caused by those 'lets ease it into gear' shifts). If they changed the Drive shaft in 84 then you will need to use a unit from a 1980 thru 83. The 76 thru 79 are not usable due a difference in shift linkage.

There was no 40hp those years

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

In the early models of that engine, pre 1980, OMC had a problem with the water intake in the lower unit becoming blocked by weeds which caused many of those engines to overheat. In 1980 they redesigned the lower unit, moved the intake and screen, changed the water pump location which they then had to move the shift linkage.

2 years ago I also had a 1981 35hp Johnson which had the lower trorn up. I watched for 3 years to find a good lower unit ot put on it and had no luck. I finally sold it as a parts engine to someone that needed it and to this day I still haven't come across a nice lower unit those years. My guess, those that have them keep them! You may have better luck down your way.

bowfisher1648

Recruit

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it I found a rebuilt lower at a shop a few hours south of me for 700 does that sound like a good deal ?? Other than the lower being bad it's a good motor ?? How hard would it be to do the work myself I'm fairly mechanicaly inclined and have access to a decent amount off tools

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I'm a machine mechanic by trade and even with the manual I wouldn't touch one. But I'll have you know that just the gearset for that lower is about $400.00 so your stated price while high is still in the ball park.

bowfisher1648

Recruit

Damn I was hoping it wouldn't be that hard.. sill waiting on my manual to get here so I can see how involved it is ... Is it hard cuz you gave to get the tolerances spot on ( backlash on the gears and shims ) or is there just a whole mess of parts in em ??

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

The manual for a 1975 50hp Johnson has 12 pages and the 1987 50hp is 17 pages on rebuilding the lower and the 35hp is basically the same. Seems there are a lot of specialty tools involved to do it right.

bowfisher1648

Recruit

Well looks like I'm prob just gonna get another motor looks like it would be about the same cost to rebuild as it would to just get a bigger motor ,,, anyone know of a good 35-60 horse motor laying around.. gotta be a remote steer with controls

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I do not believe there is any shimming to be done !-Fairly simple to take it apart to at least determine what is wrong.----Shame to install a replacement if the problem is in the upper linkage or even the brass coupler.-----Might just be a simple fix.