Evinrude Junior fixing a starter cord that won recoil

Hi,

I just purchased an Evinrude Junior on EBay! The seller mentioned in his ad that the starter cord was not going back in. I imagine that it is a simple fix and was wondering if anyone on this Forum had experienced the same problem? I am looking forward to hearing your solutions.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Junior fixing a starter cord that won recoil

Model Number?

Model BEJRCEB
No. B1920299

How does one remove the top cover? Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

1989 Junior, manufactured in Belgium. Look closely under the top... you'll eventually see four screws/bolts which will then be obvious. Notice the retaining bolt holes in the 2nd picture below.

85_2-4hpInstall-2_zpsef52d8a9.jpg

Last edited:

1989 Junior, manufactured in Belgium. Look closely under the top... you'll eventually see four screws/bolts which will then be obvious. Notice the retaining bolt holes in the 2nd picture below.

85_2-4hpInstall-2_zpsef52d8a9.jpg

Thanks, I will give it a go and let you know the outcome.

Hi,

I had no problem removing the cover and accessing the recoil part. I dismantled and tried to wind up the spring again but the cord did not pull back in. I did as far as I could tell had the spring secured in the slot of the pulley and winded it up anti clockwise (the whole spring was still in place) but it did not pull the cord back.

Is it possible that the spring is too rusty to properly work? Would it help if I were to remove the spring and try to clean it a bit then start the process from scratch as in the diagram that you sent me? I have attached a photo of the spring. I look forward to hear your suggestion. Photo0120.jpg

Hi,

I took the spring apart and it was broken but managed to reshape the end bit using a blow torch. I succeeded in re-winding it but the spring broke again! I decided that I had to bite the bullet and ordered a new spring. The cost in the UK was ?27.50 incl. delivery... Hopefully, there will be no other issue with the engine once I got the starter cord in place

Success at last, I got the starter cord working! Thanks for your help.