1965 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 Stuck Thermostat Cap

Outboardwill

Recruit
I recently bought a evinrude 9.5 sportwin. Model number is 9522c. Ive been having trouble with getting the thermostat cap off. Im pretty well past te point of re using the current one, as two of the ears that the bolts go into have broken off (on account of me...). All the bolts have been taken out, and i can see no reason why it isnt coming right out. Ive heated it, doused it with the old WD40, and tried wedging a screwdriver between the cap and the head(thats how the ears broke off -.-) and prying. Ive also tried clamping only the cap in the vice and twisting the head, and also gripping the cap with vice grips and twisting. Nothing has worked.... of course. Does any one have any tips/tricks to do this? or maybe im missing something. The motor was also used in saltwater (flushed, but not to my liking)

The reason i NEED this cap off (if i knew it would be this much trouble id never had thought twice about it) is that the previous owner used crappy bolts and over tightened them, so when i was attempting to remove them the head snapped. Now i have a broken bolt, which needs to come out so i can resell this thing. This will be no problem once the cap is off, so that issue doesn't need to be addressed.

Will

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1965 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 Stuck Thermostat Cap

That cap has a pretty long extension that goes down into the head. If the corrosion is real bad, you have a job on your hands. I have seen the time that I had to bust up the cap to get it off. Take a look at the parts breakdown and you will see what I mean.