Johnson GT 200

Aquaman-PSD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in the process of doing some motor work. I was going to get it done at a marine shop but low and behold I own a dodge and wheel bearings are pretty important... side note I would like to find the guy that designed the front end of dodge trucks and have a little chat with him... Anyway, the motor is a 93 and has been rough to start since I bought it so I know the carbs are getting to the point of rebuild. But also now when I start it on a hose it will run fine for about 1 min then die out. The primer ball looses all prime and I have to pump it back up to get the motor to start then it does the same thing. So I am assuming that the fuel pump is bad. Now I am in the position of if I really want to fix this I have to do all or some of it myself. How hard is it to rebuild the carbs on these motors? The VRO is still there and in working condition and I am pretty sure that the fuel is mixed in the carb. I have a little experience with carbs but not a whole lot so should I try it on my own? I have a feeling that the fuel pump is most likely not too difficult to change but the Marine shop told me the pump alone is around $230. I have a the manual and am thinking that I can probably do this on my own but I don't want to tear it all down just to realize I'm over my head. Any thoughts?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson GT 200

Oil and gas are mixed inside the VRO pump.---------------Repair kits are available for fuel side of the VRO.------Easy to inspect the fuel side too.--------Carburetors rarely need to be rebuilt if they are kept clean.

Aquaman-PSD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so the fuel going thought the carb is already oiled... Hmm so what would cause the hard starts? It ran fine once it got warm so the only other thing I could think of was plugs which have been cleaned.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

agree with#2, but also inspect fuel supply side for poss air leak.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the fuel side of the VRO is bad. As said above you can get kits to repair.