Evinrude fuel/oil ratio

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys, I have an Evinrude, 1962 40 H.P motor. Model # is: 35933L. In my repair manual, (Seloc) it tells me to use a 24:1 fuel/oil ratiofor this model, yet on a different page, it says to use a 50:1 ratio but there is no model number listed, just the horse power (40) and year (1962) are listed with this recommendation. I ran for the past two years with 25:1. (I bought the motor that year). Motor ran real good, but had lots oil or gas on the water while I was anchored up fishing. Could not tell if it was oil or gas but it was a rainbow of colors on the water. Last year I switched late in the season to 50:1 at my mechanic's recommendation. (about twelve gallons of gas) Motor ran good and no oil on water and better on gas, yet I am reading that I should be using the 25:1 ratio. Any thoughts on this? Mechanic says the oils are made a lot better now-a-days and I will not ruin the motor if I use the 50:1 ratio. Should I trust this advice??? Manual states 24:1 AND 50:1, depending on where I look in the book.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude fuel/oil ratio

If it were mine, I would go back to the 24:1 mix with good oil, the right plugs (J4C), and a new thermostat. Adjust the carb and make sure the choke is not sticking.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude fuel/oil ratio

You've got two posts going here. Please stick to one !!!