No spark in one cylinder 1979 4hp evinrude

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have spark in only one cylinder of my 4hp 1979 evinrude .This motor hasn't gone for years and I'm in the process of trying to get it going. I have recently revived a 1962 28hp Johnson which has points in the magneto .I understand how that set up works but I'm not too sure about the 4hp magneto setup. The parts list shows this motor has a power pack etc which I don't have any experience with. I will probably pull the flywheel in the weekend. Any hints on things to check would be much appreciated

Regards Kevin

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: No spark in one cylinder 1979 4hp evinrude

Pulling the flywheel seems " pointless " ---Chuckle , chuckle----There may not be any points there.----Since one coil fires it suggests that the charge coil and sensor coil are OK.-----Switch ignition coils as a test.---Switch sparkplugs as a test.---Likely the CD unit is no good.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it's not the coil my first guess would be the power pack. And note, I said guess without checking it out with the proper meters.

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Turns out pulling flywheel wasn't pointless :joyous:.So now i'm not sure what year my motor is (Model 49B36D).The carby looks the same as the 1979 so maybe points magneto was set up at some stage in the motors life? There was a bit of corrosion on coil wires etc so will give everything a good clean ,check points gap and hopefully will have spark.The coils aren't the old style so I should be right.

Last edited:

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have a powerpack, you wont have point of magneto.
Is the powerpack connected to anything? Or just in there.
Im sure you could switch to an older ignition if you wanted too.
Seems pointless to leave the powerpack in place though.

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is no power pack .I assumed after looking at parts diagram that the motor had one. I’m a bit of a novice at outboard repairs so I don't always know what I'm looking at. Anyway this motor has the same magneto setup as my 1962 28hp so now I will start the process of finding out what is wrong. The only thing that is strange is that the type of carby and points magneto combination doesn’t correspond to any 4hp Evinrude motor made? (Using www marineengine parts diagrams).

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

have a look on the powerhead for a nickel sized plug, could be a frankenrude.

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cleaned points and now have spark on both cylinders.I found a welsh plug with a number A0349984 on it, I don't know if that will identify the motor?

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer

FWIW, I checked the model number (49B36D) and it is indeed a 1979 4hp Evinrude.

Apparently it's a European Evinrude, likely made in Belgium.