89 Johnson 88hp fuel question

05dmax89

Cadet
Howdy new to this forum

I have an 89 Johnson 88hp well after it sits for a long while (overnight) it won't just start right up turns over fine, there is wat looks like a little valve not directly on top of the carbs just in front of it tht has to hoses tht run to the top of the carbs an will turn 180 degrees and when first starting it I have to turn it in order to get it going then turn it back when I'm running

Wat is the function of this an how do I bypass or fix it hate always have to pull the cowl off to first start

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 89 Johnson 88hp fuel question

Thats the solenoid (switch) for the choke
You are doing manual control, You only do that if the electrics are broken.
Have you tried the choke at the controls and listened to hear if it clicks? That means its working

Bosunsmate

Admiral

To operate the choke at the controls. turn the key to on, not to start and push it in. Listen for a click from the solenoid back in the engine, that indicates its working

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You can test the function of the choke solenoid. Pull one of the tiny choke hoses off the brass hose barb on the top of the upper carb. Prime the fuel hose bulb. Turn the key to on, and push in on the key. Fuel should come out of the hose, indicating it's choking properly. Reinstall the hose.

05dmax89

Cadet

Ok mine has a manual level tht I pull up to choke it but it doesn't seem to work I'll look when I get back to the house and see how it's wired up now tht I know what it is a how it works thanks I'll let y'all know what I come up with thanks again

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Simple----You operate the manual fuel pump till it is tight.-------Move the red lever over and again operate the manual pump.------Move lever back to the run position and crank motor to start.---That is the manual mode for the primer.-------------Now this primer is just a simple electric valve and it opens when you push in the key.----When this valve has fuel pressure on it , it squirts fuel into the motor.----It gets fuel pressure from the manual pump on the hose.-----Or it gets pressure from the motor pump when it is cranking.

05dmax89

Cadet

Push in key ?

Don't believe mine will push in

I'll have to look at it when I get to the house

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I have coached many folks about pushing in the key for choking.

05dmax89

Cadet

I had no idea it pushed in

Guy I bought it from never said tht

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Ok, how many times have I seen this / heard this story ??

05dmax89

Cadet

Not to doubt you or sound like a smart a** or anything, but I think I would have noticed it by now but I won't b home till like sun or Monday to try it out

05dmax89

Cadet

I feel like a dumb *** for not noticing tht

My next question is when u push it in does tht act like a prime or wat ?

Is it like push once to engage then again to disengage or ???

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Ps thats if its working as should, you need to prime the bulb first too of course

dazk14

Ensign

Not to doubt you or sound like a smart a** or anything, but I think I would have noticed it by now but I won't b home till like sun or Monday to try it out

Hey Max, It's 8pm and after your bedtime, what are you still doing on the computer!

After you apologize to Uncle Racer, we'll tell you how it functions and just how easy it is to start a cold motor.

Guy has 1400+ posts - all answers - and Max with 10. Youth is wasted on the young.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Hey Dazk14
Bit of credit where its due, read post 3 where its mentioned first!

05dmax89

Cadet

I appreciate all the help as far as boat motors go this is my first one gotta remember everyone got there strength mine just happens to b diesels not boat motors lol

dazk14

Ensign

Hey Dazk14
Bit of credit where its due, read post 3 where its mentioned first!

Bosun, you do a good job on your helps...not sure what you mean. i really wasn't paying specific attention, just to the verbal flow. I didn't see where you explained that the choke must be held in while you crank the motor.

Many Newbies think that simply pushing the choke in a couple times, etc, will prime the system with fuel, and that's all that is needed - without actually cranking the outboard.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yep i suppose most people think its just like a car switch.
I remember the knob on old cars you needed to pull to operate the choke, glad that starting a car isnt a two handed job anymore

05dmax89

Cadet

So pushing the key in and turn correct haven't had time to take it out or hook it up to the hose nasty weather

I also have a lever I thought acted as a choke