No spark 1997 johnson 175

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello pickup up a newer motor for my boat ran good when I Looked at it good compression ran well started well . Came back pickup motor mounted it on stand. Has system check ,no spark removed harness plug (6) wire purple one, left the other,jump start with remote start switch .now I have spark ,so it must be from the plug back possible the key switch.Is there anyway to test the switch?,are the pols the same as the older red plug harness .it also seams that if it wiggle the key the tach moves.any ideas?thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: No spark 1997 johnson 175

Yep, you can test that there is no continuity to ground on the kill circuit when key is on, sounds like thats whats happening.
Check your safety lanyard line switch if you have one too, they often ground out when they shouldnt.
Im not sure which connector hole is the kill circuit, you can see if yours matches with the diagram on here
continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: Ignition Switch

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Going to try to test it the kill switch is in the key switch,I like the old way ,may be needs a new switch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had spark with new key switch ,then none only have spark when harness plug is disconnected , does the harness have to be grounded? Or may be a bad tach. . Going to take a closer look at harness . I'm at wits end and help

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Check for shorts too ground on kill circuit with plug disconnected. Run a whole new kill wire back to motor if needs be

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The harness may have a short to ground on the black/yellow wire in the harness.