97 150hp Evinrude Loss of power mid day

jiff7210

Cadet
I have a 1997 Evinrude 150 Model E150GLEUE. Here's my problem.

When I take the boat out it runs perfect at the beginning of the day, great throttle response and attains RPMs fine. I will stop fish for an hour or so, move down the lake a ways and fish again. Usually it runs fine until about the 5th time I decide to move fishing spots. It cranks up fine and normal, sounds fine at idle, when i throttle up to get on plane i have no power at WOT and am not able to obtain any RPMs. I can give it low throttle and idle in at about 5 mph. Here are the things I have checked:

-replaced fuel lines
-checked fuel filter
-Checked fuel pick up in both tanks
-checked anti siphon valves
-Not sure if its relevant but the lower unit has recently been serviced and is G2G
-the last time it did this I had a buddy on the boat and had him go back and pump the fuel bulb, he said it was tight and full of fuel.
-this is new fuel, fresh fill up.
-I have checked the spark on all cylinders using a spark tester from the auto parts store, at home while at idle hooked to the muffs, all cylinders were showing a good spark. Although I am not sure this is an accurate test because by the time I had taken it home I am sure the engine had plenty of time to cool down, thus the problem would not be there anymore.
-Last time I had the problem I pulled plug wires one by one at idle, I couldn't hear any noticeable change in the engine or see any change in RPMs on the tach unless i pulled more than one wire at a time, then I could hear a noticeable bog. Again this test was done after hauling the boat home and a few hours had passesd.

I am leaning towards a bad power pack or stator?

I really appreciate any help, I have a general mechanical knowledge and can usually figure things out, I haven't checked compression on the cylinders, because i do not have access to a tool. Seeing as it runs great in the morning I don't think it is a compression problem but correct me if I am wrong.

THANK YOU!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 97 150hp Evinrude Loss of power mid day

When it acts up do a cylinder drop test on it and see which cylinders aren't firing.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

a friend of mine had a similar problem, when the motor was cold all was good when run then shut down it would give him fits. From what I understand sone of these had problems with the sensor. I think boobie is more aquainted with this, but I don't know to test it.

jiff7210

Cadet

OKay, So I had some time today to do a little bit more troubleshooting.

- I let the engine idle for 15 minutes or so to bring it up to temperature, I then pulled the plugs out to inspect them. The entire right side of plugs were noticeably soaked in fuel, fuel even dripped from the cylinders a bit when i pulled them. The left side of plugs seemed to be burning properly.

-I purchased a compression tester at harbor freight so i performed a compression test next. All 6 cylinders were dead even at 70 psi. Is this good? I have been reading about everyone being up at 110-120? This is the first time I have ever done a compression test.

-Next i reinstalled the plugs and let it idle again. I pulled the plug wires from the right side and the engine died. Tried it a couple more times and got the same result, so I know the right side is still firing, although the plugs are very fouled.

What should my next step of troubleshooting be? I plan to take the boat out tomorrow to the lake and try to recreate the problem, this time having tools to troubleshoot. Any help for things I can try to narrow this down with would be awesome. Thanks again for your help.

jiff7210

Cadet

Okay. I realized that on the compression test I did not have it at WOT, I will try to reaccomplish tomorrow

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Okay. I realized that on the compression test I did not have it at WOT, I will try to reaccomplish tomorrow

dont do a compession test with the motor running!!!!!!!!!!!!

pull ALL the plugs and test the compression one hole at a time cranking the negine over 4-5 times at least each test.

did you get a spark tester???

if NOT, go get one......once you have trouble...right away you want to try to find if any of the plugs stopped producing spark

dont wait till you get home!! do it on the water when the problem occurs... you want to see if spark is GOING to the plug....a spark tester will tell you.... and if it is, the motor can still be running while you check.... turn it off and place the tester on the next cylinders wire and reinstall the one you took it off of... fire it right back up....and run it......see if that holeis GETTING juice...

come back with the results

bob

jiff7210

Cadet

Sorry for the confusion! Was not intending to do the compression test with motor running. However at WOT wouldn't the throttle plates be closed, thus effecting what compression reading would be? I have no experience, but I did a lot of reading and everything I have found says to do the test with WOT. Please correct me if im wrong. Thanks again.

Also, I have a spark tester so I will definitely bring it with me tomorrow.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Sorry for the confusion! Was not intending to do the compression test with motor running. However at WOT wouldn't the throttle plates be closed, thus effecting what compression reading would be? I have no experience, but I did a lot of reading and everything I have found says to do the test with WOT. Please correct me if im wrong. Thanks again.

Also, I have a spark tester so I will definitely bring it with me tomorrow.

Throttle butterfly is wide open at wot

jiff7210

Cadet

Roger that!

So will throttle position affect the results of a compression test?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Some say it does, ive never really thought it through. So long as you keep the throttle position unchanged between tests then at least you want be changing any conditions between cylinders.
Best practice i think is WOT

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I dont keep them at wot when i test as i havent being taught why i should.
Just do what you want and post back!

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

just another add on . When you do this also try unplugging the primer solenoid (purple wire behind air box) that could explain all the fuel. in your org stmt you said you pulled the wires one at a time and couldn't detect a change, so now I assume one side has no spark?

jiff7210

Cadet

Here's an update:

I have installed a new CDI power pack. At this point I have only ran the motor on the hose at idle but it noticeably runs different. Sounds much smoother. The motor idles high at start up and then comes back down to around 900 RPM or so after the quick start function turns off. This is very distinct and was not noticeable at all prior to the power pack change. I will take it out on Saturday and leave another update. Also the Right bank of plugs are no longer fouled after letting it idle. Hopefully its fixed!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Keep us posted...........

jiff7210

Cadet

Okay! So here are the results after power pack change...

As far as I know the original problem is gone. However...The boat has less power than before, I used to top out around 63 MPH now I am lucky to be getting to 50 MPH.

The motor runs noticeably better, honestly it was running better than it has in the time I have owned it.

I performed a drop test to see if I had a cylinder down and all were good. One thing noticeable about the drop test was the left bank of cylinders seemed to have a stronger spark, as I could hear it making a tick and it was trying to arch from the boot to the plug from over an inch away. The right side was not doing this but did have spark. I have a spark tester, however the one I bought does not let me set a plug gap, it just lights up when there is spark

Another thing that was entirely different with the motor is I could achieve much more RPM since I have ever owned it. I believe @ WOT this motor should be at 5200 RPM which is right where I was before all the problems. Now I was able to get 5800 RPM.

Please any help guys on what this could be? Motor runs great now with the new powerpack, I just don't have as much top speed!!

Last edited:

jiff7210

Cadet

Also, I pulled each plug out and they had a nice brown tint to all of them, none were fouled.

I also checked to see if there was water or something in the boat that could be slowing it down. None.

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

is it the same prop? its a 6100 rpm pack your turning 5800 before it was 5200, you gained 600 rs but lost speed, are you using pitot tube or gps, could you have some junk in the pitot nipple(if that's what your using.

jiff7210

Cadet

The MPH reading is coming from my GPS on my Sonar unit. It reads 5 MPH higher on the dash mounted gauge. Same exact prop. Nothing has changed at all except for the powerpack. I am completely Stumped by this!! Engine runs amazing...I just lost my top speed. What should my target RPM be at WOT?

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

operating range of the motor is 4500-5500, I usually go for middle of op range so I guess your 5200 was good, the question is where did the speed go and where did the xtra rs come from, its now bewond my realm but im sure someone out there has a better idea.

Gotahunt

Recruit
I'm curious to hear more about this power loss. I blew my 94 150 hp bought a long block switched everything over and can only get 4300 rpms and 35 mph gps . Before I blew re motor I got 51 mph gps and about 5600 rpm with a 17 pitch prop.. New motor not even close