1986 Evinrude 4hp Conversion from short shaft to long shaft

kachingz

Cadet
I have a pristine 1986 Evinrude 4hp short shaft that I wish to convert to a long shaft. I have called Bay Mfg and others but have not been able to find a source for kit or the parts to accomplish it. Anyone out there got any ideas?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1986 Evinrude 4hp Conversion from short shaft to long shaft

trolling motor transom mount might be an option -- maybe already considered and dismissed(?)

kachingz

Cadet

Looked at that but it will be on a daysailer III sailboat and makes it somewhat difficult. Can you recommend a mfg for a mount that would work?
trolling motor transom mount might be an option -- maybe already considered and dismissed(?)

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Well it looks like the factory has the parts listed.--But you will get sticker shock for sure.--Best to find a donor motor to get all the parts.-----Exact model # and your location can be important.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Garelick makes a lot of models (transom mounts) for diff horsepowers and differing adjustment heights. You can also get a detachable model (slides into a bracket mounted to your transom so you can remove the whole assembly, other than the mounting bracket.) Do an Ebay search under "auxiliary motor mounting brackets" or something similar to see the varieties. iBoats is probably a source too. (I use the Garelick model with the mounting plate, and have done that on a couple of boats -- good for a small horsepower motor.) These are very common on sailboats, and with a short shaft can lift the leg out of the water for sailing.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

the shortshaft and adjustable mount might work fine on your daysailor, but would have to measure. If still need to convert to longshaft, recommend racerone's suggestion that you find a longshaft motor for parts, unless money is not an issue.

BTW, a little 3 hp longshaft might be lighter than your 4, if that is an issue -- haven't confirmed that, but also thinking in terms of a motor with an integral tank (my '90 4 Deluxe had a separate tank, although I know some of the 4s had a tank that fit around the shaft under the powerhead -- not sure what you have.) The little 4 Deluxe was a great runner, but so are the threes going back into the '50s -- run like little sewing machines, light and easy to maintain. So if a longshaft is needed, you might consider getting a 3 and keeping the 4 for other use. There's a lot of them out there (longshaft a little more rare, but out there).

Last edited:

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, I have an early 80's 4HP Long shaft.
I have absolutely no use for a long shaft. Sounds like a parts trade is in order?

What is the model number on your motor?
Ill verify parts interchangeability.

Last edited:

kachingz

Cadet

Model is 1986 E4BRHCDE Ser # B0105670 4hp

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Damn! different. I was hoping too.

yours ---> 0394477 GEARCASE EXT. ASSY.. 1 $206.11 USD
Mine ----> 0386011 G'CASE EXTENSION ASSY 1 $206.11 USD

Talk about expensive!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

The $206 might be for just the 5" housing extension. If you guys were at an outboard trade meet, you might be negotiating a trade of motors or of lower units. l.u. switching is possible even if the above part numbers don't match -- have to be sure the l.s. motor ends up with the extended water tube (and driveshaft/shift rod), and that the units mate up. I used parts from an '80s 9.9 to shorten the shaft of a '90 Yachtwin I had, and it worked fine. Have to eyeball it.