Johnson 150GT (bored over to 170HP) alarm

Ernst_89_Ranger

Recruit
Took it out for the maiden voyage. Engine ran well after a few minutes of cranking it over. After about five minutes of run time, an intermittent alarm sounded (about .5 seconds on, .5 seconds off). The beats increased with speed of the boat.

Not oil injected, so cannot be oil pressure. Steady stream of water coming out of hole, so I am gettting circulation of water through the cooling system. FYI, I have no heat gauge, i.e., not one installed in boat dash.

My guess is either bad thermostat(s) or broken sensor.

Suggestions?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 150GT (bored over to 170HP) alarm

????---Why would you have to crank a rebuilt motor over for a few minutes.--It should start right up.-----Who rebuilt it and are the water deflectors installed properly.---The intermittant alarm has to do with oil tank level or oil flow.------Are all the oil injection alarms disconnected ?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

As racerone indicated, the intermittent alarms are related to the oiling system. Once these are disabled, the only alarm you should get on that engine is a constant alarm: either an overheat or a high fuel vacuum warning-neither of which you have.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I just picked up a factory cylinder head temp gauge (Bombardier p.n. 175410 -- may be obsolete/replaced). List is $63. I may use it (haven't decided yet) on one of my older, simpler motors -- but it's a simple device you might be interested in once you get a handle on the other beeping. You may already have a bored cylinder head opening for the sensor on your motor, or it hooks up by bracket to one of the head bolts. And it gives you that gauge on your dash.... Seriously, though, a good simple system.

Fed

Commander

After about five minutes of run time, an intermittent alarm sounded (about .5 seconds on, .5 seconds off). The beats increased with speed of the boat.
That is a NO OIL alarm (in the pump) so it must still be connected.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

+1 on harness not disconnected from VRO.....also boring oversize does not add hp :blue:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

A factory GT/XP engine puts out about 165 stock hp at the prop. See above thread #7.