1986 Evinrude 60 hp steering question

sndmntboy

Cadet
I have a Fabuglas runabout that has a 60 hp Evinrude. The boat originally had cable steering and it worked fine but has broken and now i want to upgrade to a single steering system. I was thinking of going with this one: UFLEX ROTECHW13 Rotary Steering 13 FOOT Package w/ FREE STEERING WHEEL

I got to looking at the parts diagram and I have the thrust rod assembly and of course the tilt tube but thats it. I noticed there are two (35) tilt tube nuts and a (98) wiper nut that i don't have. I am assuming i need those but are not sure. I don't know a lot about these steering systems and just wanted to have all the parts i need when it comes in. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1986 Evinrude 60 hp steering question

The Rotech system you found is a better deal, particularly because it includes a wheel. I'm not familiar with the manufacturer (or more to the point, just don't know who the manufacturer is -- could be Teleflex or the Teleflex parent [second post], for all I know. Teleflex products are well known -- have used the parts and systems with no complaints.) I don't think either one of these have a nut for the end of the steering tube (your number 98, I gather). But the nut that holds the steering ram in the tube is included in both sets (fixed to the cable).

Can also check Ebay for new sets to see if there is a better deal. I like the rack and pinion systems, but that is just a preference -- like the installation, but might not fit in some applications. By the way, that original steering system might be worth repairing if originality is an issue in restoration of your boat. It's a good system and can be repaired with replacement cables and pullies. An issue there might be the newer 60 hp you are running (comparatively large hp). If the boat is rated for 60hp, the original steering system (which you can repair and strengthen) would have been considered appropriate. Choices. Be safe.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Evinrude 60 hp steering question

My impression is that UFLEX is a low-cost competitor to Teleflex. Probably from the Far East. We try to use the Teleflex brand when replacing steering parts. Their products are well made and durable.